The Orange County Sheriff’s Office conducts background investigations into Pistol Permit applications for presentation to the Orange County Court Judges, who make issuance determinations. Following are the steps required for you, the applicant, to submit an application.
- Via the links below, download, print, and Complete the Pistol Permit Pedigree Sheet (PPS-01) and the Arrest / Charge Affidavit (PPS-02, MUST BE READ CAREFULLY and NOTARIZED).
- Call the Pistol Permit Unit at (845) 291-7932 and make an appointment to be fingerprinted. Fingerprinting takes place at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office (located at 110 Wells Farm Rd., Goshen, NY). You will be given a date and report time when you are scheduled for your fingerprint appointment.
- When you arrive for your fingerprinting appointment, you will need:
- The completed Pistol Permit Pedigree Sheet (PPS-01)
- Completed and Notarized Arrest / Charge Affidavit (PPS-02)
- Completed and Notarized Authorization for release of personal information (PPS-24)
- Valid Identification (Driver’s License)
- A check or Money Order in the amount of $97.00 made payable to the Orange County Commissioner of Finance.
- Upon completion of being fingerprinted, you will immediately be provided two copies of your STATE OF NEW YORK PISTOL / REVOLVER LICENSE APPLICATION as well as a packet of supplemental documents. An Investigator will review all of the documents you will need to complete and return within 60 days. All documents must be completed in black ink only.
- Once you have completed and secured all of your required documents, you will submit them to an Investigator at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and a final interview will be scheduled. Return your application with all documents between the hours of (12:00pm to 7:00pm on Tuesday and Thursday), or (12:00 to 5:00pm on Fridays) or (9:00am to 12:00pm on the 2nd or 4th Saturday of the month).
- At your final interview, an Investigator will review all of your paperwork with you and verify the application is complete and ready for submission.
Instructions will be provided for all the documents you will need to complete and provide. However, if you have any questions, please call the Pistol Permit Unit at (845) 291-7932.
As a Pistol Permit applicant, you are required to complete a Handgun Safety Course and a certificate must accompany the Pistol Permit Application. A Handgun Safety Course is conveniently offered at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. A list of Instructors is available by clicking on the link below. Additional Training courses, including Fundamentals of Tactical Handgun (FOTH), Tactical Mindset (TM), and Tactical Decision Making (TDM) are available through the Orange County Sheriff’s Office (Handgun Safety Course is a pre-requisite but does not require a Pistol Permit).
Click here to return to Pistol Permit Unit Main Page