The Orange County Foreign Trade Zone was established in May 1978. It started with two sites that included Regal Distribution Center adjacent to Stewart Airport and the Sage Building on the grounds of Stewart Airport.
In the mid 1980's, two additional sites were made, Bally, Inc. and General Motor's assembly plant in Tarrytown. Both sub-zones are now deactivated.
Presently, the Orange County-Foreign Trade Zone consists of the following sites:
- Newburgh Foreign-Trade Zone Industrial Incubator facility, adjacent to Port Newburgh, at 302 North Water Street, Newburgh, NY.
- Stewart International Airport/Northeast Business Center, near the intersection of I-87 and I-84, New Windsor/Newburgh, NY.
- Newburgh/New Windsor site (Port Newburgh) off Exit 10, Interstate 84 at the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge, NY. The site includes only that area bounded by the Hudson River, Quassic Creek, South Water Street and South Williams Street.
- Goshen/Westgate FTZ Industrial Park, off Exit 124 of NY Route 17, Village of Goshen.
- The Gap Distribution Facility, Fishkill, NY.
- Takasago Inc., at Harriman, NY.
- Xylem aka ITT Water Technologies Inc., in Auburn, NY.