Local Government Unit - Community Planning and Oversight
Local Government Unit
In accordance with New York State Mental Hygiene Law, as a Local Government Unit (LGU), Orange County Department of Mental Health develops an annual Local Services Plan (LSP) establishes long-range goals and objectives consistent with statewide goals and objectives. The LSP is submitted to each of the following mental hygiene agencies:
- the Office of Mental Health (OMH);
- the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS); and
- the Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD).
Also, as an LGU, the Department of Mental Health:
- provides oversight of local behavioral health services in Orange County;
- collects statistics from various community agencies through the Mental Health Secure Website, which is password-protected; and
- elicits bids from agencies to serve as potential vendors for OMH Supported Housing through a Request for Proposals.
Community Services Board
Orange County Department of Mental Health has a Community Services Board with Subcommittees for Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, Mental Health, and Developmental Disabilities. This Board provides advice to Commissioner Darcie Miller and participates in the development of the Local Services Plan. The Community Services Board meets regularly during the year. The Board‘s meetings are open to the general public. Advance public notice of meetings is given, and minutes are available to the public.
As a founding member of the WELCOME Orange collaboration of agencies and organizations, Orange County Department of Mental Health encourages leadership and collaboration of multidisciplinary partners to enhance healthy living in Orange County. The Department is committed to providing a hopeful, welcoming, person-centered approach to meet individuals’ needs by collaborating and connecting people to resources for healthy living. As part of the WELCOME Orange initiative, the Department offers a guidance tool known as COMPASS-EZ. COMPASS-EZ Guidance Tool (DVD)