Following are the steps required for you, the applicant, to submit an application:
- Complete the Pistol Permit Pedigree Sheet (PPS-01), the Arrest / Charge Affidavit (PPS-02)-read carefully and notarize form, and the Release for Information (PPS-24) must also be notarized.
- Call the Pistol Permit Unit at 845-291-7932 and make an appointment to be fingerprinted.
- When you arrive for your fingerprinting appointment, you will need:
- The completed Pistol Permit Pedigree Sheet (PPS-01)
- Completed and Notarized Arrest / Charge Affidavit (PPS-02)
- Completed and Notarized Release for Information (PPS-24)
- Completed Pistol Permit Applicant Address History (PPS-25)
- Valid Identification, *Must be New York State Driver License or New York State Non-Driver ID*
- A check or Money Order in the amount of $97 made payable to the Orange County Commissioner of Finance. (As of 01/01/19 the amount due will increase to $98.25)
- At your fingerprint appointment you will receive two copies of your State of New York Pistol / Revolver License Application as well as a packet of supplemental documents.
- Return the pistol permit packet and supplemental documents within 60 days to an Investigator at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and schedule final interview.
- A Handgun Safety Course is required before completion of the process.
- Final interview, an Investigator will review all of your paperwork with you.
Instructions will be provided for all the documents you will need to complete and provide. However, if you have any questions, please call the Pistol Permit Unit at 845-291-7932.
As a Pistol Permit applicant, you are required to complete a Handgun Safety Course and a certificate must accompany the Pistol Permit Application. A Handgun Safety Course is conveniently offered at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. For more information, visit the Handgun Safety Course page.
Pistol Permit UnitPhone: 845-291-7932
110 Wells Farm Road
Goshen, NY 10924