Following are the steps required for you, the applicant, to submit an application:
- Complete the Pistol Permit Pedigree Sheet (PPS-01), the Arrest / Charge Affidavit (PPS-02)-read carefully and notarize form, and the Release for Information (PPS-24) must also be notarized.
- Call the Pistol Permit Unit at 845-291-7932 and make an appointment to be fingerprinted.
- When you arrive for your fingerprinting appointment, you will need:
- The completed Pistol Permit Pedigree Sheet (PPS-01)
- Completed and Notarized Arrest / Charge Affidavit (PPS-02) (Must be Notarized)
- Completed and Notarized Release for Information (PPS-24) (Must be Notarized)
- Completed Pistol Permit Applicant Address History (PPS-25)
- Valid Identification, *Must be New York State Driver License or New York State Non-Driver ID*
- Social Security Card
- A check or Money Order in the amount of $108.25 made payable to the Orange County Commissioner of Finance.
- At your fingerprint appointment you will receive two copies of your State of New York Pistol / Revolver License Application as well as a packet of supplemental documents.
- Return the pistol permit packet and supplemental documents within 60 days to an Investigator at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and schedule final interview.
- A Handgun Safety Course is required before completion of the process.
- Final interview, an Investigator will review all of your paperwork with you.
Instructions will be provided for all the documents you will need to complete and provide. However, if you have any questions, please call the Pistol Permit Unit at 845-291-7932.
Handgun Safety Course
As a Pistol Permit applicant, you are required to complete a Handgun Safety Course and a Certificate of Completion must accompany the Pistol Permit Application. Though each applicant is free to enroll in any firearms safety course offered, please be advised that any application submitted with a certificate of completion from a provider other than providers certified by the Sheriff's Office will require additional time for review. Certificates submitted from outside providers will require additional review to ensure authenticity and proper course content.
For important information regarding the completion of the Handgun Safety Course and to select from available Instructors, visit the Handgun Safety Course page.
Pistol Permit UnitPhone: 845-291-7932
James LynchSenior Investigator
110 Wells Farm Road
Goshen, NY 10924