Pistol Permit Application Process
ATTENTION HANDGUN LICENSE APPLICANTS:
Fingerprinting at the Sheriff’s Office has resumed.
If you are registered for a fingerprinting appointment during the month of October, you are to arrive at the Pistol Office at your scheduled date and time. Do not miss your scheduled appointment.
If you were scheduled for an August or September fingerprinting appointment that was suspended, you will also be fingerprinted in October. The Civilian Tactical Handgun Training Unit will contact you to reschedule a new appointment date and time.
Please do not call the Pistol Office for help registering for a fingerprinting appointment or the Handgun Safety Course. For all registration inquiries, contact the Civilian Tactical Handgun Training Unit at 845-291-4005 or email email@example.com.
- Judge Glenn T. Suddaby a United States District Judge has ruled that many of the provisions of the new law were unconstitutional and enjoined enforcement of them throughout the State of New York. Some provisions, however, were left intact.
- Attorney General Letitia James has filed a motion with the Second Circuit Court of Appeals seeking a stay of Judge Suddaby's decision, and further seeking a stay until the federal appellate court decides the merits of the appeal.
- An appellate judge has granted an interim administrative stay on U.S. District Court Judge Glenn T. Suddaby’s decision in Antonyuk v. Hochul, meaning the full Concealed Carry Improvement Act (CCIA) will remain in effect.
This is an ongoing case that, may impact parts of the Pistol Permit Application process. If one or more elements of the application process remain changed when you submit your completed application your assigned Investigator will assist in making sure your application is complete under the current law guidelines set forth by the courts.
How to Apply for a New York State Pistol/Handgun License
ATTENTION APPLICANTS: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT YOU READ THE STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS BELOW CAREFULLY.
Step One: Register to be Fingerprinted
TO REGISTER ONLINE, READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS FIRST, THEN CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO THE REGISTRATION SITE.
1. To create an account at the Civilian Tactical Handgun Training website, click the button that says, “Log In/Create Account”. This button is located on the left, just below the graphic of the targets. A pop-up box will appear. Fill in all information requested. When you have successfully created your account, refresh your browser, and sign in with the username and password you just created.
2. Click the illuminated blue tab that says, “Fingerprinting for Handgun License”. Select and pay for an available fingerprinting appointment. A session is available if you see displayed 0/1 and you can continue through the prompts to payment. A session is full if you see displayed 1/1 and a prompt appears that says "session is full". There is only one registrant per thirty-minute session.
3. Continue through the online prompts to make a payment. The fee for fingerprinting is $111.50 and must be paid at the time of registration. You may pay with a credit or debit card. Registration for a fingerprinting appointment is non-refundable. Do NOT miss your appointment. If you have an emergency prior to your scheduled appointment, call the Pistol Office at 845-291-7932.
4. The last page you will see is the receipt of payment. Check to make sure the receipt has you listed for the fingerprint appointment you intended to select. Locate the print and email buttons at the top of the receipt to print or have a copy emailed to you. Check your Spam or Junk folder if you do not see it in your inbox. It is highly recommended that you keep a copy of your registration receipt and bring it to your fingerprinting appointment.
5. Fingerprinting takes place at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office located at 110 Wells Farm Road, Goshen, NY 10924. This is the only facility in Orange County authorized to fingerprint applicants for the New York State Handgun License. If you live in Orange County, you must use the Orange County Sheriff’s Office for your fingerprinting.
→ To register for a fingerprinting appointment, click HERE.
Step Two: Register for the Concealed Carry Permit Course
After you have registered for a fingerprinting appointment, register for the Premise/ Business Premise or Concealed Carry Permit Course. This course is required by all applicants unless trained through Law Enforcement or the Military. The first class of the Concealed Carry Permit Course is acceptable for submission for the Premise or Business Premise Handgun License Application. You will have 90 days from the date of your fingerprinting appointment (not the date you registered for fingerprinting) to complete the Premise/Business Premise, or Concealed Carry Permit Course. (See instructions below under Step Five).
Step Three: Prepare for Fingerprinting
You must complete and bring the following completed forms with you to your fingerprinting appointment. Two forms must be notarized prior to arrival at your appointment. Click the links below to download and print all forms. The forms may also be picked up in person at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office Pistol Permit Unit (normal business hours).
Items you must bring to your fingerprinting appointment:
2. Arrest / Charge Affidavit (PPS-02)- (Notarize before arrival)
3. Authorization for release of personal information (PPS-24)- (Notarize before arrival)
6. Valid Identification (New York State Driver’s License or Non - Driver ID)
→ To download and print the required forms click HERE.
Step Four: Your Fingerprinting Appointment
At your fingerprinting appointment, you will be provided with two copies of your STATE OF NEW YORK PISTOL / REVOLVER LICENSE APPLICATION, SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE LICENSE APPLICATION, a packet of supplemental documents, and a Checklist for you to complete.
Step Five: Return Your Completed Application
Once you have completed and secured all your required documents and completed your required training courses, you are to return the completed documents to the Pistol Permit Office. Contact the Investigator assigned to your case to schedule an appointment to return your completed application. If during the processing of your application, there is additional paperwork or information required from you, your Investigator will let you know.
You must return all documents and the Premise/Business Premise or Concealed Carry Permit Course Certificate to the Pistol Permit Unit within 90 days of your fingerprinting appointment.
The review and decision process, which includes the review by the Licensing Authorities (Judges), may take several months, depending on the time necessary to complete a thorough review of your application and, due to the current volume of applicants within the process.
Please do not call the Pistol Office with appointment registration questions. For immediate registration needs, call 845-291-4005.