Handgun Safety Course
1. SHERIFF'S OFFICE
The Sheriff’s Office conveniently offers the Handgun Safety Course several times per month. The course is four and one-half hours of lecture-style presentation with practical application. Students are introduced to the basic operations of a handgun, safe gun handling, and general information related to confident and proficient gun ownership. Students will demonstrate basic safety and operational skills using training handguns, under the supervision of qualified Instructors.
The course is designed with the novice gun owner in mind and prepares the citizen for the unique challenges and responsibilities of Concealed Carry. In addition to those above, topics include handgun and holster selection, situational awareness, an overview of the Pistol Permit Application process, and New York State Penal Law Article 35; Defense of Justification. This is a non-shooting course.
The Handgun Safety Course satisfies the requirements set forth by the licensing authorities and the Certificate of Completion may be submitted with the applicant's Pistol Permit Application.
NOTE: Completion of the Handgun Safety course taught at the Sheriff's Office is a pre-requisite to admission into the Civilian Tactical Handgun Training program. Students interested in enrolling in Civilian Tactical Handgun Training must complete the Handgun Safety Course given at the Sheriff's Office location, 110 Wells Farm Road, Goshen NY.
REGISTER: Handgun Safety Course
2. SHERIFF'S OFFICE RECOMMENDED INSTRUCTOR LIST
The Sheriff’s Office maintains a list of recommended instructors from around the area who teach an approved handgun safety curriculum which satisfies the requirements for Pistol Permit Application. Fees and locations vary.
For more information see Recommended Handgun Safety Course Instructors
- May I submit a Handgun Safety Course certificate from any certified firearms instructor?
- Where may I take my Handgun Safety Course?
- How do I enroll in the Orange County Sheriff’s Office Handgun Safety Course?
- I took the Handgun Safety Course from an Instructor that does not appear on the Recommended Instructor List, is it still acceptable?
- If I did not take my Handgun Safety Course at the Sheriff’s Office location may I enroll in the Civilian Tactical Handgun Training Program?
- May I enroll in the Civilian Tactical Handgun Training Program if I am currently serving in the military or law enforcement?
- If I miss a class will I get a refund?