Running for Office
2021 Designating Petitions Signature Requirements - 1.5%
- Sample Certificate of Acceptance (PDF)
- Sample Certificate of Declination (PDF)
- Sample Certificate of Substitution (PDF)
- Sample Certificate of Authorization (PDF)
- Running for Office Guide - NYSBOE
Campaign Finance Information
Campaign Finance Webinars Available
As the State Board has had to cancel all of the in-person campaign finance seminars this spring/summer, they are pleased to announce the new dates in the webinar series. .
The following webinars have been scheduled:
- Thursday, July 9, 2020 - 9:30am - 12:00pm
- Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 1:00pm – 4:00pm
- Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 10:00am – 1:00pm
- Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 9:30am – 12:30pm
Each webinar will include a shared-screen PowerPoint presentation on campaign financial disclosure requirements as defined in New York State Election Law to assist candidates and committees in understanding the law and the disclosure process, as well as an interactive component where attendees may ask questions.
The link for webinar registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/new-york-state-board-of-elections-9860922632. You may also access this link via the website: https://www.elections.ny.gov/CampaignFinance.html.
A few things to note:
* Pre-registration is REQUIRED for these webinars, as we will need to email the WebEx instructions and a packet of information to attendees beforehand.
* In the interest of time and scheduling constraints, these webinars will not offer any CLE/CPE credit.
* These webinars will not cover the upcoming web-based EFS software in detail, as the current desktop EFS software will still be used for the July Periodic. Future webinars will specifically train on the new web-based software closer to its launch.
Call the Campaign Finance Unit at State BOE if you have any questions, (800) 458-3453
- These limits are for the entire election cycle. Generally, the Election Cycle is either two or four years.
- The contribution limit for family members is an aggregate limit from all the candidate’s family members (defined as a child, parent, grandparent, brother and sister and the spouses of those persons.)
Political contributions made by Corporations may NOT exceed $5,000 in a calendar year.
This is an aggregate amount for any and all political contributions made by that corporation within the State of New York and does not override the contribution limitations that the various candidates and committees can receive.
An LLC/PLLC may contribute up to a total $5,000 in a calendar year. All contributions made to a campaign or political committee by an LLC/PLLC shall be attributed to each member of the LLC/PLLC in proportion to the member’s ownership interest in the company.
STATE OFFICE CONTRIBUTION LIMITS
For state office contribution limitations including NYS Assembly and NY State Senate, please refer to http://www.elections.ny.gov/CFContributionLimits.html