The D&H Canal Towpath is a continuous effort to transform what is left of the D&H Canal into a linear park. First opened in 1828, the D&H Canal was constructed in order to connect coal supply in the area of Honesdale, Pennsylvania to Kingston, New York; eventually to New York City via the Hudson River. The Canal was drained in 1899 and remained unused, with a small portion in Ulster County utilized until 1904. The Canal was eventually transformed into the rail right-of-way to expand rail operations or sold to various private companies. In developed areas the Canal was filled to accommodate expanding neighborhoods and for safety reasons.
Within Orange County the D&H canal trails traversed a variety of landscapes and stretches from the Ulster County border, southwest into the City of Port Jervis, then northwest along the Delaware River back into Sullivan County and eventually into Pennsylvania. Located in the town of Deerpark within the D&H Canal Park, the one mile walking trail follows the only section of the D&H Canal that is still filled with water. The path is unpaved, starting near the Neversink Valley Area Museum which contains classic canal era exhibits and memorabilia, and ending at Oakland Valley Road. The trail is the original towpath used by mules pulling barges through the canal. The park is a National Historic Landmark open daily from dawn to dusk