HR 218 Information
INSTRUCTIONS FOR L.E.O.S.A. HR 218 QUALIFICATIONS
PLEASE READ ALL THE INFORMATION BELOW CAREFULLY.
REQUIRED TO QUALIFY:
- Valid/ Unexpired "retired" Police/Peace Officer's identification card from your former law enforcement agency (qualifiers to have with them)
- Valid New York State pistol permit (qualifiers to have with them, if you have been issued one)
- Safe and Functional Firearm
- Safe and Functional hard holster
- If for any reason the Firearms Instructor feels your holster is unsafe you will be provided with a suitable holster for your course of fire.
- Two magazines required (three preferred)
- Reloading devices, magazines or speed loaders, and a belt mounted carrying pouch may be used.
- 50 rounds of factory ammunition per firearm (No reloads)
- Eye protection
- Prescription eyewear acceptable with over the glasses range goggles
- Hearing protection (extra batteries if needed)
- Hat or cap with brim
- Range pants or comparable with belt loops sturdy enough to hold a hard holster
- Shirts and outerwear that can be tucked into pants
- Range appropriate closed toed footwear (Boots preferred)
The cost of $25 includes revolver and semi-automatic pistol. If you bring both firearms and ammunition with you the day of your scheduled session it is $25 to qualify with both. If you forget a firearm you wish to qualify with you must re-register for another session and pay the $25 fee. A revised Firearms Qualification Card will be sent to you by mail.
Enrollment in a qualification session is non-refundable. In the event the Orange County Sheriff’s Office cancels a session every effort will be made to reschedule qualifiers quickly.
FIREARM QUALIFICATION CARDS:
Cards will be mailed to you via U.S. Mail within 10 business days from the date you qualified, barring any unforeseen interruption in mail service.
NOTE: At this time, our registration website is NOT Web friendly. You will NOT be able to register and make payment on a Smart Phone or tablet. Please use a desktop or laptop.
All qualifiers must register for an available shooting session via the on-line registration website. Payment by credit card will be required at the time of registration. Instructions for registration and a video Tutorial are provided when registering. Qualifiers will be issued a confirmation email with important instructions and will receive a session reminder by email a couple days prior to scheduled session. We make every effort to accommodate groups who wish to qualify together. Just let us know.
COMPLETION OF PAPERWORK:
All qualifiers will be required to fill out necessary paperwork, sign a waiver, and complete a written exam at the time of scheduled qualification.
DIRECTIONS: For a map and directions to the Firearms Training Facility/Range: Click for Range Location
ARRIVAL: Arrive at the O.C.S.O. Tactical Facility/Range 5 minutes before the session start time.
PARKING: When entering the range facility, pass through the second set of gates and park in the designated parking area. (Near the Port-O-John)
ENTRY TO RANGE: Enter the range only when you are instructed to do so. Wait in or near your vehicle for a Firearms Instructor to escort you onto the range.
FIREARMS: All firearms are to be brought onto the range unloaded and in cases or range bag.
RESTROOMS: The range is equipped with a Port-O-John.