Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act | LEOSA HR 218
LEOSA HR 218 QUALIFICATIONS ARE SUSPENDED DUE TO COVID-19 CONCERNS.
All LEOSA HR 218 qualifications sessions have been suspended until May. Registered qualifiers will be contacted to reschedule qualification sessions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LEOSA HR 218 QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED TO QUALIFY:
- Valid/ Unexpired "retired" Police/Peace Officer’s identification card from your former law enforcement agency (qualifiers to have with them)
- Valid New York State pistol permit (qualifiers to have with them if you have been issued one)
- Safe and Functional Firearm
- Safe and Functional hard holster
- If for any reason the Firearms Instructor feels your holster is unsafe you will be provided with a suitable holster for your course of fire.
- Two magazines required (three preferred)
- Reloading devices, magazines or speed loaders, and a belt-mounted carrying pouch may be used.
- 50 rounds of factory ammunition per firearm required (No reloads)
- 100 rounds per weapon type highly recommended
- Eye protection
- Prescription eyewear acceptable with over the glasses range goggles
- Over the ear hearing protection (extra batteries if needed)
- Hat or cap with brim
- Range pants or comparable with belt loops sturdy enough to hold a hard holster
- Shirts and outerwear that can be tucked into pants
- Range appropriate closed-toed footwear (Boots preferred)
The $25 cost includes qualifying with a revolver and semi-automatic pistol. If you bring both firearms and ammunition with you on the day of your scheduled session it is $25 to qualify with both. If you forget a firearm you wish to qualify with you must re-register for another session and pay the $25 fee. A revised Firearms Qualification Card will be sent to you by mail.
Enrollment in a qualification session is non-refundable. In the event, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office cancels a session every effort will be made to reschedule qualifiers quickly.
FIREARM QUALIFICATION CARDS:
Cards will be mailed to you via U.S. Mail within 10 business days from the date you qualified, barring any unforeseen interruption in mail service.
All qualifiers must register for an available shooting session via the on-line registration website. Payment by credit card will be required at the time of registration. Qualifiers will be issued a confirmation email with important instructions.
NOTE: We make every effort to accommodate groups who wish to qualify together. Just let us know.
COMPLETION OF PAPERWORK:
When registering for a session, take note of the required forms necessary for the completion of your yearly qualification. Download and print the forms. Read carefully the instructions. Bring the forms with you to your scheduled session. Do not sign the forms until instructed by the Firearms Instructor at your scheduled session. If you are unable to download and print the forms they will be provided to you.
DIRECTIONS: For a map and directions to the Firearms Training Facility/Range: Click for Range Location
ARRIVAL: Arrive at the O.C.S.O. Firearms Training Facility five minutes before your session start time.
PARKING: When entering the range facility, pass through the second set of gates and park in the designated parking area. (Near the Port-O-John)
ENTRY TO RANGE: Enter the range only when you are instructed to do so. Wait in or near your vehicle for a Firearms Instructor to escort you onto the range.
FIREARMS: All firearms are to be brought onto the range unloaded and in cases or range bag. If carrying from the street, stay holstered until you are escorted by a Firearms Instructor to a designated area for a safety check.