Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act | LEOSA HR 218
LEOSA HR 218 QUALIFICATIONS ARE OPEN FOR REGISTRATION.
Click the link below to register for an available session. At your payment transaction, you will receive an email confirmation with important forms attached. Download and print the Affidavit, Waiver, and Written Exam. Complete the Affidavit and Written Exam prior to arrival at your qualification session. Bring the Waiver and completed Affidavit and Written Exam with you to your qualification, along with your identification. Read carefully the LEOSA HR 218 Qualifications Requirements document attached to your email receipt. If you do not receive an email to your inbox, check your SPAM or JUNK folder.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LEOSA HR 218 QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRED TO QUALIFY:
- Valid/ Unexpired "retired" Police/Peace Officer’s identification card from your former law enforcement agency (qualifiers to have with them)
- Valid New York State pistol permit (qualifiers to have with them if you have been issued one)
- Safe and Functional Firearm
- BLACKHAWK SERPA HOLSTER AND ALL AUTO-LOADING TRIGGER FINGER MANIPULATED HOLSTERS ARE NOT ALLOWED
- Safe and Functional hard holster
- If for any reason the Firearms Instructor feels your holster is unsafe you will be provided with a suitable holster for your course of fire.
- Two magazines required (three preferred)
- Reloading devices, magazines or speed loaders, and a belt-mounted carrying pouch may be used.
- Fifty rounds of factory ammunition per firearm required (No reloads)
- Eye protection. Prescription eyewear acceptable.
- Over the ear hearing protection. No foam earplugs without over-the-ear muffs.
- Baseball style cap with brim
- Range pants or comparable with belt loops sturdy enough to hold a hard holster
- Shirts and outerwear that can be tucked into pants
- Range appropriate closed-toed footwear (Boots preferred)
The $25 cost includes qualifying with a revolver and semi-automatic pistol. If you bring both firearms and ammunition with you on the day of your scheduled session it is $25 to qualify with both. If you forget a firearm you wish to qualify with you must register for another session and pay the $25 fee. A revised Firearms Qualification Card will be sent to you by mail.
There is no charge to Officers who have retired from the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Please register online for an available qualification session and complete payment. Call the LEOSA HR 218 Unit at 845-291-4005 and the charge will be refunded to your credit card.
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY:
The Sheriff's Office reserves the right to cancel or postpone a scheduled session for any reason. In the event, a session is canceled every effort will be made to reschedule qualifiers quickly. If unable to make the rescheduled session, a credit will be applied to the qualifier's account. Neither refunds nor credits are given due to missed sessions without forty-eight hours' notice.
FIREARM QUALIFICATION CARDS:
Cards will be mailed to you via U.S. Postal Mail within 10 business days from the date you qualified, barring any unforeseen interruption in mail service.
All qualifiers must register for an available shooting session via the online registration website. Payment by credit card will be required at the time of registration. Qualifiers will be issued a confirmation email with important instructions.
NOTE: We make every effort to accommodate groups who wish to qualify together. Just let us know.
COMPLETION OF PAPERWORK:
When registering for a session, take note of the required forms necessary for the completion of your yearly qualification. Download and print the forms. Read carefully the instructions. Bring the forms with you to your scheduled session. Do not sign the forms until instructed by the Firearms Instructor at your scheduled session. Include your full name and mailing address and the documents will be sent to you by U.S. Postal.
DIRECTIONS: For a map and directions to the Firearms Training Facility/Range: Click for Range Location
ARRIVAL: Arrive at the O.C.S.O. Firearms Training Facility fifteen minutes before your scheduled session start time.
PARKING: When entering the range facility, pass through the second set of gates and park in the designated parking area. (Near the Port-O-John)
ENTRY TO RANGE: Enter the range only when you are instructed to do so. Wait in or near your vehicle for a Firearms Instructor to escort you onto the range.
FIREARMS: All firearms are to be brought onto the range unloaded and in cases or range a bag. If carrying from the street, stay holstered until you are escorted by a Firearms Instructor to a designated area to unload.
RESTROOMS: The range is equipped with a Port-O-John.