HR 218 Information
INSTRUCTIONS FOR L.E.O.S.A. HR 218 QUALIFICATIONS
PLEASE READ ALL THE INFORMATION BELOW CAREFULLY.
REQUIRED TO QUALIFY:
- Valid/ Unexpired "retired" Police/Peace Officer's identification card from your former law enforcement agency (qualifiers to have with them)
- Valid New York State pistol permit (qualifiers to have with them, if you have been issued one)
- Safe and Functional Firearm
- Safe and Functional hard holster
- If for any reason the Firearms Instructor feels your holster is unsafe you will be provided with a suitable holster for your course of fire.
- Two magazines required (three preferred)
- Reloading devices, magazines or speed loaders, and a belt mounted carrying pouch may be used.
- 50 rounds of factory ammunition per firearm (No reloads)
- Eye protection
- Prescription eyewear acceptable with over the glasses range goggles
- Hearing protection (extra batteries if needed)
- Hat or cap with brim
- Range pants or comparable with belt loops sturdy enough to hold a hard holster
- Shirts and outerwear that can be tucked into pants
- Range appropriate closed toed footwear (Boots preferred)
The cost of $25 includes revolver and semi-automatic pistol. If you bring both firearms and ammunition with you the day of your scheduled session it is $25 to qualify with both. If you forget a firearm you wish to qualify with you must register for another session and pay the $25. A new Firearms Qualification Card will then have to be mailed to you.
Enrollment in a qualification session is non-refundable. In the event the Orange County Sheriff’s Office needs to cancel a session every effort will be made to reschedule qualifiers quickly.
FIREARM QUALIFICATION CARDS:
Cards will be mailed to you via U.S. Mail within 10 business days from the date you qualified, barring any unforeseen interruption in mail service.
All qualifiers must register for an available shooting session via the on-line registration website. Payment by credit card will be required at the time of registration. Instructions for registration and a video Tutorial are provided when registering. Qualifiers will be issued a confirmation email with important instructions and will receive a session reminder by email a couple days prior to scheduled session. We make every effort to accommodate groups who wish to qualify together. Just let us know.
COMPLETION OF PAPERWORK:
All qualifiers will be required to fill out necessary paperwork, sign a waiver, and complete a written exam at the time of scheduled qualification.
DIRECTIONS: For a map and directions to the Firearms Training Facility/Range: Click for Range Location
ARRIVAL: Arrive at the O.C.S.O. Tactical Facility/Range 5 minutes before the session start time.
PARKING: When entering the range facility, pass through the second set of gates and park in the designated parking area. (Near the Port-O-John)
ENTRY TO RANGE: Enter the range only when you are instructed to do so. Wait in or near your vehicle for a Firearms Instructor to escort you onto the range.
FIREARMS: All firearms are to be brought onto the range unloaded and in cases or range bag.
RESTROOMS: The range is equipped with a Port-O-John.