Certificate of Residence Form & Instructions

ORANGE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE, (845)291-4822, OR (845)291-2485

Instructions for Certificate of Residence application

1.    The Finance Department issues Certificates of Residence Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. at the Finance Department office at 255-275 Main St., 3rd Floor, Goshen, NY 10924

2.     Certificates are issued 60 days prior to each college semester and up to 30 days after the beginning of each semester. Beginning July 1, 2016, LATE CERTIFICATES WILL NOT BE ISSUED. Certificates obtained 30 days after the beginning of the semester will be for the succeeding semester. Students will be responsible to pay the full out-of-county tuition for which the certificate of residence was not obtained in a timely manner. There will be no exceptions.

3.    PROPER PROOF of residence must be submitted to prove student’s residency, whether in person or by mail. A copy of student’s New York State driver’s license, permit, Non-Driver ID card or other Government-issued Identification along with THREE separate forms of PROOF OF RESIDENCY must be submitted:



-    Automobile registration or insurance ID card in student’s name for preceding year
-    Copy of student’s NYS income tax return for preceding year.
-    Residential property tax bill or apartment lease in student’s name for preceding year.
-    Voter registration card
-    Utility bill
-    Bank, credit or mortgage statement

Proof must show street address; Post Office boxes are NOT acceptable proof for determining residency.

 If a student is under the age of 21 and has difficulty locating proof, the proof may be in a parent’s name providing the parent resides at the same address as the student. 

The burden of proof lies with the student, not Orange County Finance Department nor a community college. It is the student’s responsibility that the proper proof be provided.

5.    Immigrant aliens must have held an Alien Identification Card “Green Card” for one full year and be able to establish NYS and Orange County residency to be eligible for certificate of residency.
6.    Foreign students on the following visas do not qualify for certificates for residence: F (student), B (visitor), J (exchange), C, D, H2A, H2B, H3, H4 if on H2/H3, M, NATO, O2, P, Q, R, TN, or TD visas.
7.    An Undocumented alien is eligible for a certificate of residency if the student received a GED or graduated from a NYS high school (after attending at least two years) and applies for admission to a New York State (SUNY) school within five years of receiving the NYS diploma.

8.    If applying for a certificate of residence by mail:

a.    Download, complete and print the application for a Certificate of Residence (PDF) by clicking here. 
       NOTE:  you must download first in order to complete.
b.    The application must be notarized. Sign the application in front of a NOTARY PUBLIC.
c.    Mail the application and proper proof to:

Orange County Government Center
Finance Department
Attn: Certificate of Residence
255 Main Street
Goshen, NY 10924