- Departments H - P
- Data & Publications
- Close Contact with Someone Who Tested Positive
Close Contact with Someone Who Tested Positive
If you had close contact with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19 you may have to quarantine.
Who does Not Have to Quarantine After Close Contact with Someone With COVID-19?
- Anyone ages 12 or older and who has received all CDC recommended COVID-19 vaccine doses, including boosters if eligible and additional primary shots for some immunocompromised people.
- Anyone ages 5-11 years old who has completed the primary series of COVID-19 vaccines.
- Anyone who has had confirmed COVID-19 within the last 90 days (tested positive using a viral test, e.g. antigen or PCR).
IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO QUARANTINE:
- Wear a well-fitting mask around others for 10 days from the date of last close contact
- Get tested at least 5 days after the date of last close contact
- Read Page 2 of this New York State guidance under the section titled "What to do if not subject to quarantine"
Who Has to Quarantine After Close Contact With Someone With COVID-19?
- Anyone ages 12 or older who has completed the primary series of recommended vaccine, and is eligible for a CDC recommended booster shot but has not received it.
- However, these individuals may attend or work at school, where multi-layer mitigation strategies are in place. See School (K-12) section of our website.
- Anyone who has not completed a primary vaccine series.
- Anyone who is not vaccinated.
IF YOU NEED TO QUARANTINE.
- Stay home and away from other people for at least 5 days after the date of last contact. The date of contact is considered day 0.
- Wear a well fitting mask when around others at home, if possible
- Watch for COVID-19 symptoms and if symptoms develop get tested immediately and isolate until test results arrive
- Read Page 1 of this New York State guidance starting under the section titled "How to Quarantine"
PLEASE NOTE: New York State has provided an Affirmation of Quarantine Form Found Here that you can fill, print out, and provide to your employer. This form may be used for quarantine release, quarantine leave benefits, or for New York Paid Family Leave COVID-19 claims as if it was an individual Order for Quarantine issued by the New York State Department of Health or relevant County’s Commissioner of Health or designee.
No individualized quarantine orders will be provided: The Orange County Department of Health may or may not do a case investigation. CLICK HERE for the standing quarantine order to provide to your employer.