Quassaick Creek Watershed
The Quassaick Creek is an important tributary of the Hudson River. Its watershed covers portions of five municipalities in two counties: the headwaters of the Creek in rural Ulster County feed the main Quassaick Creek channel that meanders through the Town of Newburgh before forming the border between the City of Newburgh and the Town of New Windsor. The Quassaick Creek enters the Hudson River just south of the popular waterfront area in the City of Newburgh. There are many important waterbodies that reside within this watershed including Chadwick Lake, Orange Lake, Washington Lake, Gidneytown Creek, and Bushfield Creek.
In March 2012, the Orange County Planning Department (OCPD), with assistance from the OCWA and the NYS DOS, kicked off a project to develop a Watershed Management Plan for the Quassaick Creek. The planning process was guided by an Advisory Committee. The purpose of this Plan is to improve water quality, biodiversity, fisheries, recreational access to water, and otherwise enhance the Quassaick Creek and its Watershed. This project was partially funded by a grant from the NYS DOS Local Waterfront Revitalization Program.
For general information about the Quassaick Creek Watershed, email Kelly Dobbins or call 845-615-3840.
Quassaick Creek Watershed Plan Report and Maps
- Quassaick Creek Watershed Map (PDF)
- Executive Summary of the Quassaick Creek Watershed Plan (PDF)
- Quassaick Creek Watershed Plan - Full Report (PDF), See below for separate Chapters
- Acknowledgements, Table of Contents and Preface (PDF)
- Chapter 1: Introduction, Project Context and Goals (PDF)
- Chapter 2: Assessment of Waterbodies and Watershed Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 3: Assessment of Laws, Policies, and Programs Affecting Water Quality (PDF)
- Chapter 4: Watershed Management Recommendations and Implementation Strategy (PDF)
- Appendix A: Common Avian and Fish Species of the Quassaick Creek (PDF)
- Appendix B: Pollutant Loadings Analysis (PDF)
- Appendix C: Data Sources Utilized (PDF)
- Appendix D: Priority Actions (PDF)
- Appendix E: Recommendations Table (PDF)
- Appendix F: Grant Opportunities (PDF)
Other Reports, Data and Information
Quassaick Watershed Alliance
To learn about opportunities to volunteer in the Watershed, email John Gebhards (Coordinator) of the Quassaick Creek Watershed Alliance, or call at 845-562-6249. The Alliance is a coalition of individuals and entities, both public and private, whose mission is to advocate for implementation of the Quassaick Creek Watershed Management Plan. Their efforts focus on the protection and restoration of water quality and quantity, recreational values and biodiversity of the Quassaick Creek, its reservoirs and tributaries to promote the health, safety and welfare of our communities.
"Our Mission is to involve individuals and entities, both public and private, as advocates for the development and implementation of a Quassaick Creek Watershed Plan. Our efforts will focus on the protection and restoration of water quality and quantity, recreational values and biodiversity of the Quassaick Creek and its tributaries to promote the health, safety and welfare of our communities. This will be done my making recommendations for sustainable land use, flood and erosion control practices and relevant regulations in this watershed."
The Alliance meets at 5:00 p.m. on the last Monday of each month in Newburgh at Mount Saint Mary College, Aquinas Hall, Room 252, unless otherwise noted on the agenda for that month. For more information about the Alliance, to obtain older documents and for questions email John Gebhards, (Coordinator) or call at 845-562-6249.
For copies of agendas and/or minutes from previous meetings, please contact the coordinator.
- 2012-13 Stream Biomonitoring Report (Quassaick Watershed) (PDF)
- City of Newburgh Water Resources Summary (June 2015) (PDF)
- Fish Kill Report, Algonquin Park (Newburgh) (March 2016) (PDF)
Activities and Accomplishments
In the News
- PR Sierra Club Grant 8-23-11 (PDF)
- Mid Hudson Times Article 4-6-11 (PDF)
- Times Herald-Record Article 6-5-10 (PDF)
- QCWA Waiver (PDF)
- Capstone Thesis Project, Marcy Denker (PDF)
- Introduction to Washington Lake Video
- City of Newburgh CAT Meeting Notes 1-28-12 (PDF)
Thank you for visiting the QCWA webpage!