Assistance Information

My Benefits is a quick and easy way for people in New York State to find answers to questions about New York State’s programs and services. Orange County Residents can pre-screen for various State sponsored programs. Access the my benefits website.



Employment activities for employable recipients are coordinated with the Orange County Employment and Training Administration.


Housing for eligible homeless applicants/recipients is provided through our two Housing Resource Centers located in Middletown and Newburgh. Walk-in assistance is required, learn more about appointments and office locations on the Social Services page.

Child Support

Child Support staff assists citizens of Orange County in the establishment of paternity and child support orders, promoting self sufficiency of families and insuring children’s rights to know both parents. To contact Child Support call 888-208-4485.

Economic Independence

The Economic Independence Division provides various forms of financial assistance to families and individuals. They are subject to income and resource eligibility levels which must be satisfied by applicants and recipients in order to qualify for assistance. Participation in Welfare to Work Programs is also required for employable applicants and recipients.

  • Medicaid provides medical assistance for those families and individuals who fall below a specific income limit established by the State of New York. Medicaid offers four different health insurance programs, Medicaid, Managed Care, Child Health Plus and Family Health Plus. Information on each program is available by contacting 845-291-4000.
  • Food Stamp benefits supplement low income households in order to reduce hunger and malnutrition. Access to the income levels and how to apply for the Food Stamp Program area available through the my benefits website.
  • Temporary Assistance provides cash assistance to Orange County residents lacking income and resources to maintain a minimal standard of living. Access to the income levels and how to apply for assistance is available through the my benefits website.
  • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) assists households with meeting the costs of home fuel and heating needs. Information regarding eligibility and how to apply can be found through the my benefits website.