- Departments A - D
- District Attorney
- About the District Attorney's Office
- Specialized Prosecution Units
Specialized Prosecution Units
The District Attorney’s Office is organized into several prosecution units, in order to provide the most-specialized resources available to serve law enforcement agencies, crime victims, and all of the citizens of Orange County.
- County Court Bureau
- Appeals Bureau
- Special Projects & Community Affairs Bureau
- Local Court Bureau
- Staff Investigators Unit
Responsible for the prosecution of felony crimes in Orange County Court, the County Court Bureau is under the supervision of the chief trial assistant district attorney. The Bureau draws on the most-experienced prosecutors from all of the specialized units in the District Attorney’s Office, to handle homicide offenses, including vehicular homicides.
An experienced homicide prosecutor is on-call 24 hours a day to respond to the scene of any homicide. The Bureau has several specialized prosecution units including:
- Violent Crimes Unit: This unit prosecutes offenders charged with violent felony offenses, including assault, some weapons possession offenses, robbery, burglary, rioting, and terrorism.
- Special Victims Unit: This unit prosecutes all felony cases involving sex crimes, domestic violence, kidnapping, crimes committed against the elderly, child abuse and child pornography, and crimes involving victims with mental or physical handicaps. Additionally, two assistant district attorneys, one fulltime and one part-time, comprise the misdemeanor domestic violence unit, Misdemeanors Matter, who work under the supervision of the Special Victims Unit supervisor.
- Special Investigations Unit: This unit prosecutes offenders charged with a variety of felony offenses, including “white collar” crimes, welfare fraud, official misconduct, public corruption, arson, vehicular assault, and felony animal abuse cases.
- Narcotics and Gun Unit: This unit prosecutes all felony-level narcotics, marijuana, and weapons offenses, including all offenses involving the sale of narcotics or marijuana, or those charged with possession of narcotics with intent to sell.
- General Crimes Unit: This unit prosecutes felony cases that are not otherwise assigned to specialized felony prosecution units, including all DWI felonies.
- Forfeiture and Revenue Crimes Unit: This unit seeks forfeiture of the proceeds, substituted proceeds, and instrumentalities of illegal activity, so they can be used to provide additional resources for law enforcement. The unit also prosecutes cases involving thefts of County and State funds. .
- Grand Jury Unit: This unit consists of one senior assistant district attorney, who is responsible for scheduling the presentation of cases to Orange County grand juries, and for monitoring the operation of the grand juries.
Under the direction of an executive assistant district attorney, this unit is responsible for handling all appellate case work in state and federal courts.
Under the direction of an Executive Assistant District Attorney, this unit is responsible for overseeing the District Attorney’s Community Prosecution Program, designed to enhance cooperation between the District Attorney’s Office, other law enforcement agencies, and the public. The unit also provides support to other units within the office, and handles all FOIL requests.
This is the largest single unit in the District Attorney's Office, with the heaviest caseload. The unit consists of two supervisors and twelve misdemeanor Assistant District Attorneys. The unit is broken down into two teams, each reporting to a single supervisor.
They are responsible for prosecuting approximately 21,000 criminal cases in 59 separate Local Criminal Courts. The caseload includes over 1,700 DWI cases and more than 2,000 misdemeanor drug cases annually. The Local Court Unit works under the direction of a Senior Assistant District Attorney, designated the Chief of Local Courts, who also directly supervises one of the two teams. Its members are located in offices in Goshen and Newburgh.
This unit consists of eleven district attorney’s investigators, based in Goshen and Newburgh. They are all police officers. Their duties include the conduct of independent investigations, support to police agencies, and case enhancement for prosecutors.