The mission of the Department of Health is to monitor and protect the health of residents of Orange County, to prevent disease and disability, provide education regarding healthful living, and assure healthy environmental conditions.
Overview of Divisions
Community Health Outreach
- The Community Health Outreach division focuses on connecting with the community to promote health and prevent diseases. Their responsibilities include organizing health education programs, providing resources, and building partnerships with community organizations.
Early Intervention Services
- Early Intervention Services is dedicated to identifying and addressing developmental delays and disabilities in young children. This division coordinates services such as speech therapy, physical therapy, and other support services for families in need.
- The Emergency Preparedness division is responsible for planning, coordinating, and managing public health emergencies. This includes natural disasters, disease outbreaks, and other crises that can impact public health
- The Epidemiology division investigates and monitors the patterns and causes of diseases in the population. This division plays a crucial role in identifying health trends, controlling outbreaks, and informing public health policies.
- The Environmental Health division ensures the safety and well-being of the community by monitoring environmental hazards and enforcing regulations. This division is responsible for inspecting food establishments, controlling vector-borne diseases, and managing various water treatment facilities to ensure they uphold the New York State Code.
- The Health Equity division is committed to reducing health disparities and promoting equal access to healthcare services. This division works to address social determinants of health, such as income, education, and housing, to create a healthier and more equitable community.
- The Medical Examiner division is responsible for investigating and determining the cause of sudden, unexpected, or violent deaths. This division plays a critical role in public safety, infectious disease control, and the administration of justice.