Frequently Asked Questions
The following frequently asked questions and answers are informational only. They are compiled by County employees and do not replace or modify the requirements of the law. Persons seeking guidance/opinions on their conduct or potential conduct from the Board of Ethics can contact the Board of Ethics directly.
In addition, unionized employees of Orange County are entitled to avail themselves of all the rights of their union contract and can determine for themselves whether they wish to contact their union representative prior to contacting the Board of Ethics.
- What is the Board of Ethics?
- What are the requirements to be a board member?
- Who are the current members of the Board?
- Are the Board meetings open to the public?
- Who can report a violation of the Ethics and Disclosure Local Law?
- How do I report a violation or inquiry to the Board of Ethics?
- Will my inquiry/report of violation be kept confidential?
- What is a gift or “financial benefit”?
- What is confidential information and can county employees and officers disclose such information?
- What is a conflict of interest?
- May County employees and officers or seek or accept private employment?
- What do I do if I am not sure if working a part time job creates a conflict or impairs the proper discharge of my official duties?
- Are there restrictions on future employment?
- Are there any exceptions to this rule?
- What are the penalties for violating the Ethics and Disclosure Local Law Ethics?