Veterans Memorial Cemetery
The Orange County Veterans Memorial Cemetery is the result of the dream of the late Thomas C. Agnew, Director of the O.C. Veterans Service Agency, 1993 to 1999. He served in the U.S Army from November 1967 to December 1974 and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his service in Vietnam. The opening of the cemetery on June 3, 2000 is the culmination of Tom’s vision of a dignified place of rest for those who served our country with gallantry and courage. He desired a place where family and friends could pay their respects without having to travel hundreds of miles to a National Cemetery.
It is our sincere desire to memorialize all Orange County veterans with the dignity they clearly deserve. May you find the Orange County Veterans Memorial Cemetery such a place. The O.C.V.M.C. recently installed a 96-niche Columbarium for the above-ground interment of cremains. The cost of a niche, which will accommodate one to two cremains each, is $400 per niche. For more information, call the office at the Veterans Service Agency at 845-291-2465.
Any veteran of the United States Armed Forces who served active duty and was discharged under other than dishonorable conditions. Such veterans must have been either:
- A permanent resident of Orange County at the time of entry into active duty
- A permanent resident of Orange County at the time of death
- A permanent resident of Orange County at the time of full payment of a plot
Other eligible persons include:
- The legally married spouse and or dependent child of a veteran.
- Gold Star Parents: The parents of a veteran who lost his or her life as a result of active engagement in combat.
Note: "Permanent resident" shall mean a person who resides in the County of Orange at least 183 out of the immediately past 365 days (Local Law Number 1 of 2,000).
Documents Required to Purchase a Plot
- A copy of the veteran’s military separation record.
- A copy of the death certificate for the veteran and spouse, if deceased.
- Proof of current Orange County residency (unless military separation record indicates veteran was a resident at the time of service).
- A check or money order for the appropriate amount made out to the Commissioner of Finance.
Note: Other documents may be required depending on circumstances.
Schedule of Fees for Spouses & Dependent Children
- $500 - Full-size gravesite, first opening and closing, setting grave marker, perpetual care and related maintenance.
- $250 - Small size (approximately 4 by 4 foot) gravesite for cremains, first opening and closing, perpetual care and related maintenance.