Healthy & Safe Neighborhoods / Communities
View resources for healthy and safe neighborhoods and communities:
- Asset Development - Search Institute’s identified 40 Developmental Assets. Learn how to build on personal qualities and experiences of youth.
- Crime Victims Assistance Program (CVAP) - Since 1981, the Crime Victim Assistance Program has been an advocate of victim rights and has provided a voice for crime victims in the criminal justice process. Additionally, we provide services to victims of domestic violence who are seeking Orders of Protection through the Orange County Family Court. In conjunction with a petition for an Order of Protection, the counselors will also prepare petitions for related matters (i.e. custody, visitation, support, etc.).
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) - Consumer Product Safety Commission - Official Federal agency with information on product recalls, health and safety reports and alerts. Excellent resource for parents and educators alike to keep informed on ever-changing health and safety news!!
- Darkness to Light (Preventing Child Sexual Abuse is an Adult Responsibility) - Tools and resources to help adults take proactive steps to protect children by preventing, recognizing and reacting responsibly to child sexual abuse
- Healthy Neighborhoods Program - A primary prevention program designed to provide preventative environmental health services to targeted geographic areas with a high rate of documented unmet environmental health needs which often result in adverse health outcomes for the residents. The HNP program involves door-to-door home visitation with an emphasis on childhood lead poisoning prevention and education.
- Lead Safe Orange (LSO) (PDF) - Financial assistance is available to landlords and single family homeowners for lead remediation work.
- Local Department of Social Services - The Human Services Division provides families and individuals with services that will enhance the ability of families to live together, enable individuals to remain in their homes, minimize the risk of abuse or neglect, and provide for specialized care in residential settings when necessary. This site Includes information about the following:
- Child Protective Services Caseworkers investigate allegations of child abuse and neglect that are made to the New York State Central Register (SCR) and then transmitted to the local DSS
- Preventive Services provide supportive and rehabilitative services to intact families where children have been assessed to be at-risk of foster care placement.
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - A private, (501)(c)(3) nonprofit organization which was created in 1984. The mission of the organization is to serve as the nation’s resource on the issues of missing and sexually exploited children. The organization provides information and resources to law enforcement, parents, children including child victims as well as other professionals.
- Operation Safe Child - Sheriff Carl E DuBois is proud to announce that the Orange County Sheriff’s Office is offering the Safe Child ID program to all parents in Orange County. This program has been designed by the New York State Department of Criminal Justice Services and is being made available to local residents.
- Partners for Children, Youth and Families - Integrated county-wide Coalitions and Action Teams representing human services agencies, educational institutions, county government, non-profit community based organizations, faith based entities, business, and the children, youth and families of Orange County.
- Safe Homes Support Groups: for adult women affected by Domestic Violence. Locations: Goshen, Newburgh, Middletown and Port Jervis. In English and Spanish. Free and Confidential.
- Stop Bullying Now - Campaign website created especially for adults. You’ll find valuable resources about bullying awareness, prevention and intervention. As an adult, the best ways you can prevent bullying includes knowing about the many forms of bullying and best practices for taking action. No matter how you interact with children and youth, there are many ways you can Take a Stand. Lend a Hand.
- STOP DWI - The Orange County STOP DWI Program’s goal is to increase public awareness to STOP DWI. Stopping DWI will eliminate the senseless deaths of 48 people every day in the United States.