Board of Elections
The Board of Elections is charged with the responsibility of overseeing that all election related activities are executed in accordance with the New York State Election Law as interpreted by the Orange County Commissioners of Elections and the New York State Board of Elections.
Important Election Changes - Please be advised:
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo has issued the following executive orders regarding the 2020 Elections and modifying the Election calendar:
- Any district or special district, including, but not limited to fire, library, sewer, or water, that conducts an election and/or budget vote shall be rescheduled to September 15, 2020 and collection of signatures for nominating petitions is hereby suspended until further notice, subject to a process determined by a future Executive Order; provided however, a library district may conduct an election on June 9, 2020 pursuant to this Executive Order if such election is managed by a school district.
- Any village election that was postponed in March of 2020, or scheduled to be held on June 16, 2020, or any time prior to September 15, 2020, is hereby rescheduled for September 15, 2020.
- Sections 6-138, 6-142, 6-158, 6-210, 6-206, and 15-108 of the Election Law in relation to independent nominations are modified as follows: Independent nominating petitions for an office to be filled at the time of the general election or any village election shall be filed between July 27 and July 30, 2020.
- A certificate of acceptance or declination for an independent nomination for an office to be filled at the time of general election or at a village election shall be filed not later than August 3, 2020.
- A certificate to fill a vacancy caused by a declination of an independent body for an office to be filled at the time of the general election or at a village election shall be filed not later than August 6, 2020.
- A signature made earlier than July 1, 2020, or later than July 30, 2020, shall not be counted upon a petition for an independent nomination for an office appearing on the general election ballot or at a village election.
- For any election in 2020, the signature requirements on an independent nominating petition for an independent nomination for the general election for any office that is not determined by a statewide election shall be whichever is less: (i) three and three tenths percentum of the total number of votes cast for governor at the last gubernatorial election in such unit, excluding blank and void votes, or (ii) a number equal to seventy percentum of the statutory minimum number provided for by subdivision 2 of section 6-142 of the election law, or for a village election, seventy percentum of the statutory minimum provided for in subdivision 6 of section 15-108 or subdivision 4 of section 6-206 of the election law.
Independent Nominating Petitions
Circulation starts July 1, 2020
File at Board of Elections - July 27 - July 30, 9am to 5pm
2020 Candidate Filings List after June 23 Primary
General Election - Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Polls are open from 6am - 9pm
The Early Voting period for the November General Election will be October 24, 2020- November 1, 2020.