Voter Information

How to Register to Vote


Online Voter Registration - Here

You must complete a Voter Registration Form (PDF) and submit it to the local Board of Elections no later than dates below to be eligible to vote in the upcoming election. You must meet the following criteria to be considered a registered voter. Voter registration forms can be found at any post office, town hall or at any local Board of Elections office. Downloadable forms are available online.

Remember: If you are a new registrant, you must register at least 10 days prior to an election to be eligible to vote in that election. 

Click Here for all 2024 elections voter registration deadlines.

NYS Voter Lookup Database

Qualifications to Register to Vote

  • Be a United States citizen
  • Be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote)
  • Reside at your present address at least 30 days before an election
  • Not be in prison for a felony conviction;
  • Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
  • Not claim the right to vote elsewhere
  • Unsure if you are already registered to vote, please check here.

Re-Registering or Changing Your Information

  • Once you register, you are permanently registered unless you move.
  • Name, address or party enrollment changes can be made by submitting a new registration form in any manner permitted for a registration application.
  • If you move, your notice of change of address must be received by the Board of Elections at least 10 days before a special, primary or general election
    • You will be notified by the Board of Elections of your new polling site.
  • A change of enrollment takes effect 7 days following the general election providing it is received prior to the last day to register for that election.

Party Enrollment

By enrolling in a constituted party you can help designate candidates by signing petitions and voting in a primary election, however, you are not obligated to vote for your party’s candidate in the General Election, you may vote for any candidate from any party.

To vote in a primary you must register for one of the following constituted political parties by indicating your preference on the voter registration form: Democratic, Republican, Conservative or Working Families. You can also choose to not enroll in a party, but you will not be able to participate in a primary.

Change of Enrollment

If you are currently an enrolled voter and change your party status, your change will not be effective until July 5th.

Note - You may change your party anytime though out the year.  An application to change one's party enrollment for the primary election in 2023 must be received by the board of elections no later than February 14, 2024. Changes received on or after February 15th until seven days after the June Primary will be set aside and opened the seventh day following the June Primary and entered in the voter's registration record. 

For additional information, visit the New York State Board of Elections.

Political Parties

Notice to Voters:

In order to achieve political party status with an official ballot line in New York State, certain party candidates must meet certain vote thresholds. Due to the outcome of the 2020 General Election, the political parties that now remain in New York State are Democratic, Republican, Conservative, and Working Families. If you were previously registered with the Green, Libertarian, Independence, or SAM party, you are now considered No Party (NOP). All registered voters are eligible to vote in the November General Election; however, No Party voters are not eligible to vote in any Primary Elections. If you wish to remain No Party, there is nothing further you need to do. If you wish to enroll any one of the remaining parties, you must fill out a voter registration form and submit it to your County Board of Elections before February 14, 2023.