This unit is composed of 63 full time Uniformed Deputies and Sergeants who provide patrol function. In addition, Deputies are responsible for the following services:
- Calls for Service - As first responders deputies are dispatched to emergencies by Orange County 911.
- Criminal Court - Deputies support Village, Town and City Courts transporting and providing appearance by prisoners held in the Orange County Correctional Facility.
- Civil Process - Deputies play a lead role in the process of civil paper, family court orders, and evictions.
- Traffic Enforcement - An integral part of highway and street safety is the enforcement of the Vehicle and Traffic laws of the State of New York. In addition to routine enforcement, Deputies join with Local and State Police for special enforcement periods related to DWI, Distracted Driver and Seat Belt Use.
- Crime Prevention - Through regular contact with the public, deputies become aware of situations which may have the potential for criminal activity. The road patrol deputy is in an excellent position to educate the citizen and to enlist their aid in the prevention of crime.
- First Responder - All deputies of the Sheriff’s Office Road Patrol are trained in CPR, the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and the use of Naloxone commonly referred to as Narcan administered for opioid overdose. AEDs and Narcan are available in every uniform vehicle.
- Arson Investigation - A Deputy K-9 Handler along with his specially trained Arson K-9 Dog respond to and investigate fires in Orange County in order to identify those that are criminal in nature and require further investigating. They conduct their investigations alongside Fire Investigators and Arson Investigators throughout the entire process.
- School Resource Officer (SRO) - Interacts and supports the school administration in providing safety, security and as an interactive resource for students.