

**Meeting Transcript  
Planning Committee  
May 10, 2022 at 10:00 AM**

Legislative Conference Room  
OC Government Center  
255 Main Street, Goshen, NY

Dial-in Number: (646) 876-9923

Meeting ID: 863 5265 0854

Passcode: 066298

Zoom Meeting Link:

<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86352650854?pwd=NmhvU3pwNFNkUHpaWi8yeDNBd080UT09>

Meeting Participants – In Person

Name:	Organization:
Harry Porr	Orange County Deputy County Executive
Alan Sorensen	Orange County Planning
Rob Parrington	Orange County Planning
Lauren Bennett	Orange County Planning
Jessica Ridgeway	Orange County Planning
Jason Morris	City of Newburgh
Jacob Tawil	City of Middletown

Meeting Participants - Virtual

Zack Coleman	Orange County Planning
Ryan McGuire	Orange County Dept. of Public Works
Nicole Farmer	NYSDOT Region 8
Sandra Jobson	NYSDOT Region 8
Harriet Lewis	NYSDOT Main Office
Dave Lake	Mid-Hudson South TCC
Olu Folarin	MTA
Lizy Philip	NYS Thruway Authority
Mike Sweeton	Town of Warwick
Joshua Wojehowski	Town of Cornwall
Denise Quinn	Town of Wawayanda
Gedalye Szegedin	Village of Kiryas Joel
Moishe Gruber	Village of Kiryas Joel
John Revella	Village of Walden
Nicole Shute	WSP for the City of Newburgh
Al Fusco	Fusco Engineering for the City of Middletown

**Call to Order / Introductions**

Introductions were made from 00:00:00 to 0:02:07.410. See above for a list of meeting participants.

**Opportunity for Public Comment**

0:02:09.440,0:02:17.280

Harry Porr: At this time we'll ask for any opportunity for a public comment, if anyone would like to make a statement now is the time to do so. Okay, hearing none we'll move on to number three.

**Accept Meeting Transcript – April 12, 2022**

0:02:24.120,0:02:34.600

Harry Porr:, which is accepting the meeting transcript of April 12 2022. Do I have a motion?

"I'll lead the motion."

Harry Porr: Thank you. Second?

0:02:34.680,0:02:36.360

"Second".

0:02:37.000,0:02:39.150

Harry Porr: Any discussion on the transcript? Hearing none, all those in favor?

\*in unison\* "Aye".

Opposed? \*silence\*.

Harry Porr: Thank you.

**Transportation Improvement Program**

*OCTC Administrative Modification 2020-W*

0:02:45.586,0:02:49.830

Harry Porr: Okay number four, Transportation Improvement Program, I'll give that to Lauren.

0:02:50.520,0:03:36.000

Lauren Bennett: Yes, thank you, so we introduced this administrative modification OCTC20-W at the last meeting, while it was still open, we had another request from Transit Orange to add in an action for PIN 8TRO81 to roll funds from FY '21 to FY '22. So this was rolled into this administrative modification and everything moved through the E-STIP. There are no further actions needed from the committee, so I'll pass it on to Rob Parrington for more information on the action.

0:03:28.950, 0:03:47.200

Rob Parrington: Thank you. Yeah, this is a literally administrative type stuff the FTA requires that we have all the funding in correct fiscal year when we file a grant and we're writing a grant now, the process is just about done for transit buses for Kiryas Joel, so we just need to move all the money into the into 22.

0:03:47.240,0:03:48.320

Harry Porr: how many buses are we talking about?

0:03:48.360,0:03:48.880

Rob Parrington: Three.

0:03:50.000,0:03:52.200

Rob Parrington: Three more fixed route transit buses

0:03:52.240,0:03:53.360

Harry Porr: And expected delivery?

0:03:53.480, 0:04:13.890

Rob Parrington: We can't tell you that yet, because we have to identify a contact, we can piggyback off of I would guess, it's going to be a couple years because there's delays, right now, we have some buses that we're about to order there's delays, because the chip issues which everyone's heard of over the past year, so it's really... that's a tough question at this point.

0:04:14.910,0:04:20.915

Alan Sorensen: Yeah, we would have had some 2021 points that would have lapsed so we rolled those over.

0:04:20.915,0:04:23.790

Harry Porr: Okay, anybody want to comment on that, any of our members?

0:04:25.650,0:04:33.574

Harry Porr: No action needed, right? "Nope." Okay, the next is a draft amendment OCTC20-13.

### *Draft TIP Amendment OCTC20-13*

0:04:33.574,0:05:00.000

Lauren Bennett: Next slide, so this is... in the last meeting, we also introduced TIP amendment OCTC20-13, so this is, we're adding a new project onto this. The city of Newburgh received 1.8 million in Congressional earmark funding for Fiscal Year 2022 for the Lake St. bridge replacement. \*general commentary \*

0:05:04.000,0:05:20.670

Lauren Bennett: So, they're adding in the 1.8 million Congressional earmark and it has a .450 local match, and then the total being 2.250 million being added in Fiscal Year 2022.

0:05:23.310,0:05:39.690

Harry Porr: This is a classic example of a State highway inside the city boundaries, it's been out of action, for I don't know how long, major arterial into the city, it should definitely be paid for by the state and the federal government. As well as 9W and 17K and 32.

0:05:45.840,00:06:06.090

Lauren Bennett: So this TIP amendment, we'll bring it to the policy board at the July meeting, so will stay open and we'll continue to add on projects as needed. This will also go out for the 14 days of public comment before then. That's all I have on that.

0:06:07.170,0:06:09.278

Harry Porr: So, Jason is up next again as well

### *City of Newburgh Funding Request (PIN 8761.39)*

0:06:09.278, 0:07:07.480

Lauren Bennett: Yes, so we have a transportation improvement program funding request from the city of Newburgh and that's in this current TIP, the 2020-2024 TIP. So the city is requesting the remaining funds in the fiscal year 2022 STBG-Off System Bridge Block PIN, so this is due to the increase in change orders. So the city's looking to obligate the construction funding in Fiscal Year 2022. This does impact the rollover estimated for the funding allocations in this upcoming TIP update, so as we go through that we'll share that with the group.

Currently there are no expected projects that it will impact. So then the next steps would be to add the action on to the draft TIP amendment because it's greater than the 25% threshold for funding and we'll bring that TIP amendment, if approved, to the next June 14 Planning Committee meeting.

0:07:08.120,0:07:13.694

Jacob Tawil: So is there additional funding requested or just rolling over funds from one year to another?

0:07:13.694, 0:08:19.770

Jason Morris: So, I can elaborate, thank you Lauren, so the city's requesting additional funding in the amount of \$771,000 to cover existing change orders associated with the bridge project, the bridge was constructed and it's open it's mostly complete.

We encountered on different site conditions related to unsuitable soils below the bridge, when we were driving the piles and that changed the method of pile installation and escalated costs. Additionally, when we were constructing the bridge, we found an unsuitable water main in the stream below the bridge that we had to take out of service and it currently remains out of service while the contractor awaited delivery of new 12 inch water main to put alongside of the bridge. So there was an eight month supply chain delay issue with that water main and that water main cost was not initially expected as part of the project costs.

So between unsuitable soils, some other minor site changes and the water main, we have this additional funding request to cover those costs.

0:08:19.770,0:08:22.630

Jacob Tawil: So total will be \$771,000?

0:08:22.630,0:08:25.320

Jason Morris: Slightly less than that but yes, that's approximate.

0:08:25.800,0:08:28.886

Harry Porr: And this is the bridge that crosses over the Quassaick Creek?

0:08:28.886,0:08:35.970

Jason Morris: Yes, it is. This is on Lake Drive, so Lake Drive is a loop road that that loops into Lake Street.

0:08:37.260,0:08:38.820

Harry Porr: So it's more West?

0:08:40.050,0:08:50.430

Jason Morris: Yes, yeah, so this is near the Lake Street apartments... near the Lake Street bridge, but not to be confused because Lake Drive and Lake Street.

0:08:51.570,0:08:52.680

Harry Porr: Any other questions?

0:08:54.060,0:08:55.380

Lauren Bennett: Any questions from the group?

0:08:58.380,0:09:10.530

Lauren Bennett: Okay, so we'll transition now into the transition improvement program local project sponsor updates and I'll ask Jason the lead off with that.

### *Local Project Sponsor Updates*

0:09:11.460, 0:10:11.738

Jason Morris: So the city of Newburgh has a number of TIP projects currently approaching design approval and moving to construction. The first of which is the Walsh Road bridge. So we have three bridges in the city that are under construction Lake Drive, Lake Street and now Walsh Road is due for construction shortly. We're almost done addressing DOT's comments we had some right away acquisition issues with CSX transportation, the railroad, that we had to work through and we're nearly done with that, which is great, but there'll be some additional costs related to construction inspection because of CSX's requirements for oversight and monitoring of their property we're impacting.

So the city of Newburgh is going to request additional \$300,000 for construction inspection on that Walsh Road bridge which is 878761.40, the PIN number for Walsh Road.

0:10:11.738,0:10:15.274

Lauren Bennett: And that's STBG-Off System Bridge funding.

0:10:15.274,0:10:20.000

Harry Porr: Is that right next to New Windsor?

0:10:20.000,0:10:24.780

Jason Morris: It is, that's correct, it's actually partially owned by New Windsor, but the city of Newburgh owns the bridge.

0:10:26.490,0:10:27.270

Harry Porr: Just lucky yeah.

0:10:32.520,0:10:34.680

Jason Morris: Are there any questions about that?

0:10:35.790,0:10:38.021

Jacob Tawil: When do you expect to start construction?

0:10:38.021,0:10:41.850

Jason Morris: We expect obligate in this Fiscal Year, 2022.

0:10:44.130,0:10:46.440

Harry Porr: Any discussion from any of our members?

0:10:49.290,0:10:49.790

Harry Porr: Lauren?

0:10:49.790,0:10:51.450

Lauren Bennett: I think Jason had some others.

0:10:51.450, 0:11:49.350

Jason Morris: Sure, we also have two PIN numbers related to Broadway pedestrian and traffic signal improvements. There are two PIN numbers that are being combined into one overall project. And this is to upgrade the traffic signals and all the pedestrian curb ramps to be ADA compliant with pedestrian bump-outs along Broadway, between Grand Street and 9W. So roughly half of Broadway is being upgraded... traffic signals, ADA ramps. So we have existing funding in the TIP through two PIN numbers.

Based upon our current engineers estimate, it looks like we're going to be short about \$1.372 million. So the project is not out to bid yet, we're looking to obligate in this Fiscal Year 2022, but at this point our projections are a deficit of about \$1.372 million.

0:11:52.530,0:11:53.100

Harry Porr: Comments?

0:11:57.270,0:11:57.770

Harry Porr: Okay.

0:11:58.830,0:12:06.280

Lauren Bennett: Are there any other local project sponsor updates from the group?

0:12:07.950,0:12:08.450

Jacob Tawil: Yeah.

0:12:09.990, 0:14:06.360

Jacob: The traffic operations, as you know, it's kicking in full gear construction, we have many intersections in the city of Middletown ripped out.

We still have some outstanding items that we requested additional funding way back, \$1.8 million for the construction funding and then inspection another \$1.8 million. So we're in desperate need for a decision on that. We have not signed with the engineers, yet the construction inspection contract, because we don't know about the \$2.4 million. It has to be signed, but I need, we need, a decision from this committee, and they are not part of the committee, so I really want to push it to vote. We've been going around going updates projects of the since December last year, and we had an ample opportunity we can't just keep waiting until the last person, not new, but the last person in the world we can ask for additional money we have to make a decision being because we need the funds now.

0:13:15.840,0:13:21.930

Whatever is left over. So that's my thing. We have like 4 intersections, right now throughout. Three in downtown and one just outside downtown ripped open right now, as we speak for the traffic operation, which is a pedestrian crossing, upgrading the signals intersection. ADA compliance and the whole nine yards so it's extremely important project for us to pursue.

We can work around with availability of the funds over the next couple of years because it's not going to be all constructed this year, some of it is going to be 2023 and some of it's even going to be 2024 because of the availability of the fund. So we can massage the funding or the scope of work accordingly, but I need, we need, a decision please on the on the funding.

0:14:08.850,0:14:09.840

Harry Porr: Can you comment?

0:14:11.160,0:14:17.686

Lauren Bennett: I added it in to this discussion, coming up in the TIP update

0:14:17.686,0:14:19.367

Jacob Tawil: I'm sorry, I misspoke.

0:14:19.367,0:14:20.640

Lauren Bennett: No, I wanted to surprise you!

0:14:21.960, 0:14:43.380

Lauren Bennett: But it does need to be approved by the Council, so it's only as a discussion item right now. Also all these numbers for the TIP update was done before the city of Newburgh's requests, so we may need to incorporate some of that but. We can talk about that in the TIP update. Any other member items? Local projects?

0:14:46.680,0:14:50.310

Ryan McGuire: Ryan McGuire here, I could give an update for Orange County projects if you guys want.

0:14:51.330,0:14:51.840

Harry Porr: Yes.

0:14:52.920, 0:17:36.060

Ryan McGuire: Okay, so. The Heritage Trail Section 3, Section 2, I'm sorry, is just about finished, we have about two more weeks until that's done so I know that'll be a welcome addition to get that fully open. That Section 3, they're still going through preliminary environmental reviews and the cultural and historic resources. I'm looking for a design report probably mid May.

The Farmingdale bridge we just got through Bridge New York we've circulated for consultants, we've identified a consultant, we're starting negotiations on that so we're looking to to get moving on that project.

That pedestrian safety construction project is just about done, we have a couple more weeks, possibly three to four at the longest so that's almost done everything looks really good and we're just really doing striping and programming all the crosswalks at this point.

The Otisville Viaduct project is still going through right away we're having some trouble with Norfolk Southern, I'm getting final contracts, but we should be wrapping that up soon.

I'm hoping the next couple weeks and then we'll be asking for design approval, we have all our final plans they're all ready to go and request right away clearance and final approval. We do have a shortfall on that project, it's a Bridge New York projects, so the funding is capped, we've been asking for Congressional earmarks, different things like that, so we haven't had any luck, we may have to make it up with local funds if there's nothing else available but we're still pursuing other options.

The [Bridge NY project from the 2018 round] was bid out earlier this year or late, late last year I believe. Bids came in high. The DOT offered to rebid the project independently, which we asked them to do so they're unbundling that right now and they're looking to probably bid that out in the fall for next construction season. There is a shortfall on that as well but we're hoping that the rebuilding brings the prices down more in line with what we'd be expecting. The other Bridge New York project we just got for the culverts, it was two culverts. We just circulated for consultants and we're awaiting the responses on that.

And that's it for Orange County.

0:17:38.910, 0:17:53.920

Harry Porr: Anyone else? Going once, going twice, okay let's move on to old business. FFY 2327 TIP Development.

### **Old Business**

#### *FFY 2023-2027 TIP Development*

0:17:57.630, 0:20:49.000

Lauren Bennett: Last meeting we introduced the TIP Development. This is just a snapshot of if nothing changed, no schedules changed what the program would look like or over programmed for STBG Large Urban and Fiscal Years '23 and '24 and \$3 million over program in C-MAQ for the 2023 fiscal year.

So I've highlighted the STBG-Off funding. This is to note that, if the city of Newburgh were to receive that fiscal year 22 Off System Bridge funding, which is just under the .728, I think you said. It would impact 2023, because it's going to impact the rollover so that number would be \$339,000 (.339) for 2023 but, as you can see they're currently no projects program for the STBG-Off System Bridge.

So I set up calls with all the projects' sponsors to talk about schedules and funding so some of the actions that have happened... We moved the construction for Heritage Trail Section 3 out to fiscal year 2024, we've moved two projects for the village of Kiryas Joel, the park and ride and the roadway and sidewalk improvements out to fiscal year 2025 and then switched around some funding in the city of Middletown to balance out. So when we move those out, it left some funding in CMAQ in fiscal year '23 and because CMAQ is harder to spend than STBG Large Urban, I switched over those funds about million dollars from the STBG Large Urban into CMAQ funds and then since, at the time the city of Middletown had the funding request on the books, I applied about .779 in fiscal year '23 to the city of Middletown and then STBG Large Urban funding kind of the leftovers in '23 and '24. So it's still a shortfall of the 3.6 million but it does allocate 3.346 million of the total funding request.

0:20:51.510,0:20:55.720

Jacob Tawil: Can I just ask a question? How much additional funding are we getting?

0:20:55.800,0:21:06.150

Lauren Bennett: Total? Total you're getting the 3.346

0:21:07.380, 0:22:30.480

Lauren Bennett: I wrote down each of the funding sources, we can look at each of the projects to see how they moved. This is just the draft for CMAQ, and this is all just federal funding, so most of the CMAQ in FY '23 is in the city of Middletown traffic operations, so that bumped up to 5 million and that's the switch from STBG Large Urban and then adding the additional (leftover) CMAQ funding.

And then pushing out the Heritage Trail Section 3 to '24 for just construction and then the village of Kiryas Joel park and ride. And as a reminder, this PIN, the village is proposing a new park and ride so we're going through the CMAQ application and determination to see if it is eligible for the CMAQ funds and then, once we have a better idea of the breakout of the design and construction that will be reflected in that new PIN, so this is a placeholder now in fiscal year 2025.

0:22:25.470,

Are there any questions on the CMAQ funding? Any discussion items? It's open to the group.

0:22:36.240,0:22:39.930

Michael Sweeton: This takes into account the city of Newburgh's request is that correct?

0:22:40.020, 0:23:01.110

Lauren Bennett: It does not, no. I got that this morning, so I wasn't able to add anything into the slides. We still do have a June Planning Committee meeting so based on the discussion items I'll come back and we'll hopefully a draft TIP in June, and now we can begin to discuss.

0:23:02.280,0:23:05.970

Harry Porr: How solid is the proposed funding going out to '27?

0:23:07.020,0:23:08.610

Lauren Bennett: Sandra, do you want to answer that?

0:23:11.160, 0:23:42.510

Sandra Jobson: Can you guys hear me? Okay, well you know we always like to say that um these funds aren't guaranteed, but you know these are planning targets. This is what we, we plan for. You know I've



gone now through almost a five-year cycle, I haven't seen anything change from what's usually anticipated, so I wouldn't expect much change from the from these.

0:23:43.770,0:23:46.800

Harry Porr: Would we be going more or less in the amounts?

0:23:49.080,0:23:49.740

Sandra Jobson: I'm sorry?

0:23:50.220,0:23:54.360

Harry Porr: These changes, is more money being available or less money being available?

0:23:54.420,0:23:59.010

Sandra Jobson: Oh I'm sorry, I don't anticipate any changes for these fund sources okay.

0:23:59.400,0:24:03.660

Harry Porr: All right, thank you. Anyone else?

0:24:04.170,0:24:07.620

Sandra Jobson: Nice job, Lauren. Lauren, do you have a summary table for the STBG Lg Urban too?

0:24:08.460,0:24:09.060

Lauren Bennett: Yes.

0:24:12.180, 0:25:09.750

Lauren Bennett: Okay, so if we're good with CMAQ, we'll move on to the STBG Large Urban. So these are the projects that are on STBG Large Urban right now. It shows the city of Middletown with the \$56,000 in 2023 and then we also shifted this funding out because the project is C-MAQ eligible, to make it more flexible with STBG funds we moved those out So there's 2.3 million in 2023 that project, and then the proposal because they have the funding request, there was 2.511 million that was unallocated so the proposal was to put it into this project in 2024.

But again, the discussion is open, and we're pretty balanced for STBG Large Urban.

0:25:12.480,0:25:13.800

Harry Porr: Any comments? Any questions?

0:25:18.720, 0:25:28.440

Michael Sweeton: Let me ask a question. So go back to the other slide, the Route 94 improvements, were they moved to 2024? Or is that still DOT's plan?

0:25:29.850,0:25:32.580

Lauren Bennett: That was there and I believe that's construction.

0:25:35.040,0:25:35.540

Michael Sweeton: OK.

0:25:38.070,0:25:40.410

Lauren Bennett: I will double check that, I don't think I moved that.

0:25:43.080,0:25:44.610

Harry Porr: Anybody else? Any other questions.

0:25:45.840,0:25:50.340

John Revella: Sorry, I didn't hear what you were doing about the deficit on the last slide for 2024.

0:26:07.890,0:26:13.440

Lauren Bennett: Let me cover Off-System Bridge real quick and then we'll look at all of them together.

0:26:13.560,0:26:14.130

John Revella: I appreciate it.

0:26:14.970,0:26:15.900

Lauren Bennett: So if you want to go one more, two more slides forward. So for the STBG-Off again, we have no projects programmed. Based on the city of Newburgh's request they'll have .339 million approximately in 2023, but does leave funding if you the Walsh bridge funding request. That funding you could obligate in 2023 so after October if everyone's okay with that, I can work with NYSDOT thought to draw that up as well.

So, then, that would be 2023 we'd have no funding leftover in fiscal year 2023 for Off-System Bridge, but then the rest of the years, we would. We have no projects programmed so we can probably do a call for bridges towards the end of this year, so we can be ready for next fiscal year. So the last slide, if there's no questions on that, the last slide is just a snapshot. We are fiscally constrained, except for fiscal year 24 which we are overall in the program fiscally constrained so as long as NYSDOT is okay with that shifting a little, they are planning targets.

We're mostly hitting our targets. So hopefully that answers your question John.

0:27:46.890,0:27:49.980

John Revella: Thank you. Did DOT respond to that or they haven't responded to that yet?

0:27:50.430,0:27:55.560

Lauren Bennett: They're seeing this for the first time now, so I wouldn't expect them to have a response right now, kind of springing this on them.

0:27:57.420, 0:28:19.560

Sandra Jobson: You know Lauren, I'm really impressed with what you've done. You're really tight to your planning target. As you know the other two MPOs, smaller MPOs, they're working on their still I've already seen their numbers they still have some work to go, but you are in really great shape.

0:28:21.360, 0:28:46.500

Lauren Bennett: This does not include the city of Newburgh's request, I will say though, so that, might jostle things but for right now, this is it. We did mostly balance it out for funding and I'd also like to thank all the project sponsors who were willing to move their schedules, especially the village of Kiryas Joel, who has been a good partner in all this to the OCTC committee.

0:28:49.290, 0:28:56.630

Harry Porr: Any other comments for anyone? Okay, lets move on.

0:28:58.320, 0:29:16.710

Lauren Bennett: And we'll continue to draw this up and send stuff out to members, we still have one more Planning Committee meeting, we'll also be working on the narrative. Hopefully, get a map up of all the projects, so we'll have a bunch of other things to go along with this, so it'll be a busy June as well.

## **New Business**

### *FTA MPP 2022/2023 Allocations*

0:29:20.940, 0:31:14.400

Lauren Bennett: So if you can remember, we adopted our unified planning work program for fiscal years 2022-2023 on March 1 so it's an annual program of planning funds. There's two sources, we have FHWA planning funds, and then we get FTA's 5303 or MPP funds.

The FTA funds were estimates, they had not finalized those numbers, so in early April, they did adjust those numbers to include the IIJA (Investing Infrastructure and Jobs Act.) So they released these new funding for the 2022-2023 grant year. This is OCTC we had about \$132,000 so you can see now it's \$167,000, planning money only.

This does require a UPWP amendment, so we will draft that up for the next Planning Committee meeting so you can see the amendment in the UPWP, and we'll look to adopt at the July Policy Board meeting.

And with that, I'm going to transition over and because we're already doing an amendment to the UPWP.

#### *Updates to Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP)*

0:31:05.850,0:31:10.629

Lauren Bennett: We're looking at opportunities to improve the UPWP as well.

0:31:10.629, 0:34:04.050

Alan Sorensen: I just wanted to speak to the to the board about that. If you recall, we had set aside approximately a little over 800,000 for Route 17M/Route 6 corridor study.

What I would like to do is kind of transition the Transportation Council from doing these kinds of mega studies to developing smaller geographic area focus, transformative planning projects. So rather than look at 17M from Middletown down to Chester, we would look at very specific areas along the corridor that we could do more focused studies whether it's you know, an example Hatfield Road extension up to 17M, maybe taking a closer look at Six and a Half Station Road which is you know, an ongoing issue.

So when we come back to the Unified Planning Work Program, we'll be coming back probably looking to reduce the scope and the budget for the Route 17M/Route 6 corridor study and to allocate that funding for the prioritized smaller project ready studies that we can work on. I recognize we can't get into the design phase, but you know we certainly can address the planning phase of it, and I think, as we move forward, it will put us in a better position to pursue some of the funding through IIJA and I'd also like to have more focus on complete streets, bike/ped planning throughout the county.

I think we have a unique opportunity here in Orange to develop a bicycle transportation system that is seamless, effortless for people. Building upon the work of the Heritage Trail, the Schunemunk Trail and then looking at the communities along these rail trails in terms of how do we better implement complete streets initiatives so that, you know, someone living along the Heritage Trail can literally bike from their communities effortlessly to the Heritage Trail and be able to develop a truly multimodal transportation system throughout Orange County. We have the right of ways set aside. It's just a matter of focusing on that planning, and I think if we do that we can transform how people move throughout the county

So just some of the things that we're thinking about, some of the things that we'd like to bring back to the board for consideration as we amend the UPWP.

0:34:05.100, 0:34:11.160

Harry Porr: With that, we can open it up for discussion. Any comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

0:34:12.690, 0:34:24.719

Jacob Tawil: I think it's a great idea, because this way you can take advantage of available, smaller pools of funding should anything come up, I mean look at the moment, we're showing two projects together. We get ready, it's a great idea.

0:34:24.719,0:34:32.760

Alan Sorensen: I think we're just trying to be a little more nimble, have some yeah and not get bogged down with a massive study that just takes forever.

0:34:32.800,0:34:42.090

Harry Porr: It also goes down, just to give a very cursory look, when you're doing these projects towards water and sewer as well. I know its outside the transportation function but....

0:34:43.230,0:34:45.930

Alan Sorensen: Its part of the planning, yeah.

0:34:48.090, 0:35:30.390

Denise Quinn: Well, the town of Wawayanda has a bunch of applicants in front of the Planning Board right now that just did a major traffic study for the Route 6, 17 and Dolsontown Road corridor intersections. And those intersections are all currently failing. Without adding anymore traffic when the County and the State made Dolsontown Road a throughway from one side of Middletown to the other, it created a lot more traffic for that Dolsontown road intersection.

0:35:35.340,0:35:40.260

Alan Sorensen: Do you know who we would contact to get copies of those studies if we don't already have those?

0:35:41.940,0:35:51.060

Denise Quinn: If you send me who you want the study to be sent to I can have our Planning Board send it over.

0:35:52.350,0:36:00.755

Lauren Bennett: I think there's a recommendation, out of our 239 review process, they asked that they look at all the projects at the same time.

0:36:00.755,0:36:06.180

Alan Sorensen: They could forward it to either Jessica Ridgeway

0:36:06.180,0:36:08.180

Lauren Bennett: It's Jen (MacLeod) and Zack (Coleman) I believe.

0:36:11.040,0:36:15.660

Denise Quinn: Can you email me who you want it sent to and I'll forward it to the Planning Board.

0:36:17.700,0:36:21.030

Alan Sorensen: Jessica is going to put the contacts in the chat.

0:36:21.540,0:36:22.040

Denise Quinn: Okay.

0:36:26.250,0:36:28.710

Harry Porr: Any other comments? Thoughts.?

0:36:35.010, 0:36:45.570

Lauren Bennett: Alright, if there's no other comments, we'll draft some stuff up. Changing the scope of some of those projects and present the amendments at the June Planning Committee meeting.

0:36:47.700,0:36:49.435

Harry Porr: Okay, does that bring us to reports?

0:36:49.435,0:36:51.183

Lauren Bennett: Yes

### **Reports**

0:36:51.183,0:36:57.320

Harry Porr: Okay. Orange County staff reports, I guess we'll start with Rob. Do you have anything you'd like to share with us?

#### *OCTC Staff Reports*

0:36:57.320, 0:37:41.670

Rob Parrington: Yeah. We've been working on the Schunnemunk Trail grant to get that in place, the grant for the transit buses that we do with the Admin mod on.

Since the last meeting, week we've been working on our National Transit Database filing, which is an annual report which drives the funding helps to know that all the operators are responsible their reports. It's that time of year we conduct the oversight visits, the annual oversight visits, with all the transit operators to make sure they're all compliance with the Federal and State guidelines, those have been doing very well. And we're in the middle of an FTA tri annual review and we're waiting to hear when we're going to have to meet related to that, which is overdue. We're kind of waiting for the axe to drop on that.

0:37:44.310,0:37:46.800

Harry Porr: Okay, Mr. McGuire from the DPW.

0:37:48.870,0:38:00.210

Lauren Bennett: We have a few OCTC staff updates. It was requested at the last meeting that we present on some of the changes to the open meetings law, so Alan has an update on that.

#### *Open Meetings Law Change*

0:38:02.070, 0:39:30.330

Alan Sorensen: As of April 9 previous video conferencing provisions found public officers law were removed. In a nutshell, the new public officers law section 103 A-2 authorizes public bodies to conduct meetings using video conference technology so long as a quorum of the public body is physically present at one or more of the locations where the public can attend in person. This requirement, can be set aside.

For example, if three members of the five member of a public body are physically present in a municipal hall or public is allowed to attend at a location. So we brought this issue up for OCTC to consider because under the provisions of this law public bodies in order to comply and conduct any meeting via video conference, the local government must adopt local law or an individual public body must adopt a resolution authorizing the use of video conferencing, so the question to the Transportation Council is whether. You would like to allow for video conferencing, if so, we would bring back a resolution at the upcoming Policy Committee to allow for OCTC to meet via video conferencing.

0:39:31.950,0:39:33.420

Harry Porr: Debate? Discussion?

0:39:36.030,0:39:41.010

Michael Sweeton: Alan, you would you would need a quorum physically present though right?

0:39:41.790,0:39:43.560

Alan Sorensen: That is correct, yes.

0:39:46.920,0:39:48.720

Michael Sweeton: But you don't have a quorum sitting there.

0:39:50.220,0:39:52.860

Alan: We don't today.

Harry Porr: No voting today.

0:39:54.480, 0:40:13.303

Lauren Bennett: Planning Committee would not be affected, it's the Policy Boards that's a voting board.

So the Policy Board meeting would have to have a quorum in person, but if someone were to call in, they would still be allowed to vote if you had a quorum. Right now, they would not be considered, they would just be in attendance

0:40:13.303,0:40:15.083

Harry Porr: Or you just have meetings in person.

0:40:15.083,0:40:16.334

Lauren Bennett: Yes.

0:40:16.334,0:40:18.060

Harry Porr: And no more video.

0:40:18.060,0:40:19.680

Lauren Bennett: Yes

0:40:19.680, 0:40:41.949

Alan Sorensen: So that's something that has to be worked out. Actually, if the transportation allows for the board to meet, the Policy Board, to meet by video conference, it also needs to authorize it's committees and subcommittees to do so as well. So the resolution would cover that

0:40:41.949,0:40:50.200

Harry Porr: So we're looking for some direction on how you feel about this, and we can draft whatever the majority feels is appropriate for our next meeting in June?

0:40:51.960,0:40:52.460

Lauren Bennett: Yes.

0:40:54.690, 0:41:09.720

Michael Sweeton: I think it made sense, except in practice I'm not sure how it's going to work. Because if you don't get a quorum at the at the policy meeting in person, then you're dead in the water right?

0:41:10.200,0:41:24.600

Harry Porr: We would have to take attendance before the meeting to see who is going to be here in-person and qualify that it was a quorum to allow the video conferencing part, so it was too complicated, maybe the best thing is just to go back and meet in person. I miss all you guys!

0:41:27.630,0:41:30.960

Michael Sweeton: It just seems more work for the staff, but you know it's whatever.

0:41:32.700, 0:41:55.650

Gedalye Szegedin: We should do it because even if it's not going to work for the Policy Council it still work for the planning meetings. If we don't adopt a resolution that we have to be in person for everything. This way, planning could be on video conferencing so keeping both options open is definitely a benefit.

0:41:56.970,0:42:03.200

Harry Porr: Can we craft the resolution in that form? That one is okay by video and the other in person?

0:42:03.280,0:42:07.380

Alan Sorensen: We could do that.

0:42:08.010, 0:42:30.150

Lauren Bennett: The other thing with the video conferencing is some of our partners are regional so their offices are in Manhattan or Poughkeepsie so it also might be a benefit to MTA possibly to not to travel two hours to be in-person. So that's another consideration for allowing some members to be on video conferencing.

0:42:31.470,0:42:35.550

Alan Sorensen: Yeah I think the members, you know we're going to have to have a conversation first.

0:42:36.750,0:42:42.914

Harry Porr: Maybe you can let us know your thoughts as you think through this in the next couple of days and share those with Alan and Lauren.

0:42:42.914,0:42:50.120

Lauren Bennett: And we can draft, the resolution for the Planning Committee meeting and discuss it as well throughout that draft

0:42:51.420, 0:43:17.160

Gedalye Szegedin: What are the downsides to adopt the resolution to permit video conference for everything? You still need to have a quorum so that's going to force people to attend in person. So if you have a quorum, you can still have some people who are more concerned about Covid or more practical reasons, so you have it both ways.

0:43:18.840,0:43:19.710

Harry Porr: What constitutes a quorum? How many members?

0:43:22.410,0:43:23.400

Lauren Bennett: Eight, I believe.

0:43:27.270, 0:43:44.640

Michael Sweeton: That there's no downside to have it, the danger is you get to a policy meeting and somebody doesn't show up that you counted on, then you can't have the meeting. And doesn't the law, require that the public have access to view it or is it just to be taped and viewed?

0:43:48.750,0:43:57.270

Alan Sorensen: As long as we have a quorum here, then the public, we have to provide opportunity for the public to be here at the Government Center.

0:43:59.010,0:44:01.527

Lauren Bennett: To view.

0:44:01.527, 0:44:16.792

Alan Sorensen: To view, yes thank you. I mean the other advantage of video conferencing is we've adopted a public participation plan, if we wanted to make the meetings more accessible to the public, video conferencing obviously does that.

So it's just something to consider.

0:44:16.792,0:44:32.070

Jacob Tawil: Question, if I may, for the policy meeting, if you have voting members who are not there, they are on video can they still vote or you have to be present to vote. That's something you may want to consider.

0:44:33.270,0:44:39.480

Lauren Bennett: Yeah, they would be allowed. If there was a quorum they would be allowed.

0:44:41.250,0:44:48.990

Jacob Tawil: I gotta run, we don't have any problems here. Middletown we support video conferencing. And we'll look forward to seeing you.

0:44:52.230,0:45:01.320

Lauren Bennett: So, probably for staff we'll just have to see who plans to meet in-person, and then you know go from there.

0:45:04.980,0:45:12.510

Harry Porr: Yeah, yeah let's do this, let's give it a couple of days, share your thoughts with Lauren or Alan and we'll draft something for the June meeting.

0:45:13.230,0:45:26.790

Lauren Bennett: I think John Revella had a comment.

\*comment being read aloud\* "Attendance previously was in-person, with a few people who had conferenced by phone I think attendance by video phone should be the exception, instead of the rule as we previously had done."

Thank you, John

0:45:28.740,0:45:36.303

Harry Porr: Alright, we'll leave that with you for your future comments to come in and we'll go to MTA First Mile/Last Mile

#### *TMA 2021 Federal Certification Report*

0:45:36.303, 0:47:30.680

Alan Sorensen: I'm going to have Jessica do that. Before I do that, though I think we jumped over TMA certification. So we received the Hudson Valley TMA certification review in April, that's been shared with the OCTC members. As part of that review, OCTC received an accommodation for the public participation plan and that's been adopted.

We also received one corrective action. And we've been asked to develop a work plan to address the requirements of 23 CFR 450.324(f)(11) for the LRTP and submit them, I hope everyone's taking copious notes, submit them to FHWA and MTA by July 29.

So in a nutshell when we adopted the LRTP of 2019 FHWA concluded that cost estimates of revenue that were reasonably expected were not clearly demonstrated. So we're going to work on that I spoke with Maria Chau [Hayford]. The plan moving forward is that, rather than and go back again the 2019 LRTP,



they've allowed us to come up with a plan so that, when we update the LRTP in 2023, we'll make sure that we address that specific provision of the CFR and that's our plan. We'll be prepared to submit a response to FHWA and MTA by the July 29 deadline.

0:47:32.610,0:47:45.360

Lauren Bennett: And the TMA 2021 Federal Certification Report and appendices are now available on the OCTC website under the TMA Federal Certification Report.

0:47:48.270,0:47:49.260

Harry Porr: Any questions on any of that?

0:47:50.760,0:47:52.170

This is where I trust my staff.

0:47:56.610,0:48:01.920

Alan Sorensen: Going to put it back over to Jessica then for the First Mile/Last Mile.

### *MTA First Mile/Last Mile Study*

0:48:01.920, 0:48:20.460

Jessica Ridgeway: Can everyone hear me okay on the phone? I know I'm kind of far from the microphone. So we're working with MTA Transit Oriented Development Unit and their consultant VHB on a First Mile/Last Mile study. It started last year, it's about 12 months long...

0:48:21.000,0:48:22.854

Harry Porr: Can you explain a little what that is?

0:48:22.854,0:49:29.670

Jessica Ridgeway: Yep, they're looking to facilitate expansion of first mile/last mile opportunities by local governments, developers and other MTA stakeholders and the goal is to improve access to transit within our region. With more seamless simple modes that reduce dependency on single occupancy vehicles.

So they've done a number of tasks associated with this study so far, we're getting towards the end but they've categorized all the stations into different typologies, they're analyzing gaps to accessing the stations and then the grand finale or the product will be an online toolkit and so they're in the process now of selecting 10 pilot stations within the whole MetroNorth service area, so we're advocating for one in Orange County and so county staff will be trained on utilizing the tool kit and we're happy to facilitate any other municipalities that are interested in utilizing the tool kit once it's available. It will be online. So more to come this summer!

0:49:30.720,0:49:31.680

Harry Porr: Comments?

0:49:36.600,0:49:38.190

Olu Folarin: This Olu from MTA HQ.

0:49:40.320,0:49:44.940

Olu Folarin: Can you provide me the contact person that you're working with at the MetroNorth?

0:49:46.170,0:49:47.280

Jessica Ridgeway: Her name is **Emily Provonsha**.

0:49:48.840,0:49:49.500

Olu Folarin: Emily, okay.

0:49:49.980,0:49:51.870

Jessica: yep she's from the TOD unit.

0:49:52.620,0:49:53.130

Olu Folarin: Thank you.

0:49:54.480,0:49:55.290

Harry Porr: Anyone else?

0:49:57.360, 0:50:41.000

Harry Porr: I was just gonna say that Alan and I were having a conversation, the other day about actions that were taken by the government, like 40 years ago. That was which way do we go in Orange County with rail traffic that the Main Line or was it the Graham Line. And at that time looking at suburbia, the Graham line was selected. Now we have train stations in Campbell Hall and Salisbury mills, as opposed to Middletown and Goshen and places like that. It's just amazing that in a transition of 40 years the philosophy has changed to the opposite of what was. So the decisions you make today are important for 40 years from now.

Alright, anything else?

Okay, then we go to save the date.

*Save the Date – Planning Committee Meeting on June 14<sup>th</sup> at 10am*

0:50:41.200, 0:51:01.280

Lauren Bennett: Yup, so we have an upcoming Planning Committee meeting on June 14 at 10am. I believe we'll try to do the hybrid again with everyone.

0:50:52.000,

So hopefully we'll have this meeting room, but I will send out more information before the Planning Committee meeting so save the date; June 14 at 10am.

0:51:01.360,0:51:09.060

Harry Porr: Okay and I'll just give one more shout out anybody from Orange County DPW that wants to talk about the projects? Reports?

*Other Member Reports*

0:51:09.270,0:51:13.530

Ryan McGuire: I think we're all set. I gave an update on all the projects unless anyone had any specific questions.

0:51:14.070,0:51:17.310

Harry Porr: Okay, thank you. NYS DOT anything else to add today?

0:51:18.960,0:51:19.770

Sandra Jobson: No, but thank you.

0:51:20.820,0:51:23.550

Harry Porr: Okay Olu from MTA, anything else?

0:51:24.330,0:51:25.920

Olu Folarin: Nothing for now, thank you.

0:51:26.730,0:51:31.020

Harry Porr: That brings us to Lizy, who is retiring and will not be with us anymore from the Thruway Authority.

0:51:32.370,0:51:32.970

Harry Porr: Lizy?

0:51:40.080,0:51:55.020

Lizy Philip: Can you hear me? I'm happy I've worked with you on this council for the last five years, and the Thruway Authority will find somebody to replace me on this meeting. And I want to say bye bye too.

0:51:57.000,0:51:58.980

Harry Porr: Great working with you, best wishes!

0:51:59.280,0:52:00.300

\*Congratulations from all\*

0:52:03.420,0:52:03.920

Lizy Philip: Thank you!

0:52:06.690,0:52:07.530

Harry Porr: With that I'll just ask for an adjournment.

0:52:09.570,0:52:10.500

Harry Porr: Motion to adjourn?

0:52:13.230, 0:52:29.000

Alan Sorensen: Harry, I just would like to compliment my staff, Lauren, Jessica, Rob, Martha and Zack who's behind the scenes working the PowerPoint. Good team effort for this meeting today, so thank you for that.

0:52:29.200,0:52:32.570

Harry Porr: And we are adjourned, thank you all.

*Meeting adjourned at 10:53AM.*