Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
District Attorney Hoovler and Port Jervis Police Chief Worden
Announce Arrests in Reckless Endangerment Cases
Defendants Charged with Discharging Guns
In Occupied Buildings
Orange County District Attorney David M. Hoovler and Port Jervis Police Chief William Worden, on March 26, 2021, announced the arrests of two individuals who were alleged to have discharged guns inside occupied buildings.
On March 24, 2021, Port Jervis City Police arrested Sabastian Robinson, age 25, of Sparrowbush, New York, and charged him with four counts of the felony of Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree. Robinson’s arrest is the result of an investigation by City Police into a report of a gunshot being fired the previous evening, March 23, 2021, inside Silk Mill Condos, located at 39 Church Street, where detectives determined that a bullet was discharged from a pistol and traveled through the walls of an adjoining apartment, nearly striking two adults and two children who were inside the apartment. Robinson was held overnight in the City Lock-up and arraigned in City Court on March 25, 2021, when he was released on his own recognizance, pending grand jury evaluation. Detectives have not recovered the pistol involved in the incident at this time. The investigation into the incident is continuing and additional charges may be filed.
Earlier in the month, on March 5, 2021, during the late evening hours, Port Jervis City Police responded to reports of shots fired in a three-story apartment complex located on Cole Street. Officers arrived at the scene and learned from occupants of the building that a shot was fired from the third-floor apartment, and that the projectile traveled through an occupied apartment on the second floor and an occupied apartment on the first floor, nearly striking the occupants, including small children. In connection with the incident, officers arrested Kervin Jeanty, age 35, of Port Jervis, and charged him with the felony of Reckless Endangerment in the First Degree. Detectives recovered a twelve-gauge shotgun and ammunition during the investigation. Jeanty was arraigned in City Court and remanded to Orange County Jail in lieu of $25,000 bail, pending grand jury evaluation.
The Orange County District Attorney’s Office assisted City Police in both investigations.
“Guns have to be used with care,” said District Attorney Hoovler, “and the irresponsible discharge of guns cannot be tolerated, especially when it occurs inside occupied buildings. In these two incidents, we were truly fortunate that no one was hurt. I urge all our citizens to exercise caution in the handling of their weapons.”
“Calls involving shots fired are dangerous calls for police officers to respond to,” said Port Jervis Police Chief Worden, “and I applaud the efforts of our officers in apprehending the suspect’s involved in these cases. The defendants’ reckless actions placed adults and small children living in nearby apartments in grave risk of death or serious physical injury, and we are very thankful that they were unharmed.”
Port Jervis Police are also concerned about locating the pistol involved in the shooting incident reported on March 23, 2021, and are seeking the assistance of the public in recovering the weapon. If you have information that can help locate that handgun and remove it from the street, please call Port Jervis City detectives at 845-858-4003.
A criminal charge is merely an allegation that a defendant has committed a violation of the criminal law, and it is not evidence of guilt. All defendants are presumed innocent and entitled to a fair trial, during which it will be the State of New York’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.