Greenway Conservancy Trail Grant Program
Program Office: Hudson River Valley Greenway
Amount: $500,000 available; Maximum of $50,000 per project
Deadline: August 10, 2018
Match: At least “dollar for dollar” (50% min.) – Cash or in-kind, non-state funds
This annual grant program is dedicated to funding recreational trail projects. Special consideration is given to projects that seek to implement the goals of the Greenway Trail Program.
Eligible project categories include:
- Trail Construction, Planning and Design
- Trail Rehabilitation or Improvement
- Trail Education or Interpretation.
The 2018 application emphasizes connections to the Empire State Trail.
In January 2017, Governor Cuomo announced plans for the NY Empire State Trail, a 750-mile multi use trail that will connect NYC to Canada and Albany to Buffalo. The Empire State Trail will connect the Hudson River Valley Greenway Trail and the Erie Canalway Trail, creating the largest state multi-use trail in the nation. The 2018 Greenway Conservancy Trail Grant Program prioritizes links from existing Greenway Trails to the Empire State Trail.
Hudson River Greenway Water Trail: The Water Trail is a series of over 110 access points, day use sites and campsites along 256 miles of the Hudson River and Champlain Canal between Hadley and Whitehall to the north and Manhattan to the south. The goals of the Greenway Water Trail Program are to:
- Provide launches on both sides of the Hudson River Estuary every ten miles or less and, above the Troy dam, every ten miles or less on at least one side of the river.
- Provide campsites or other overnight accommodations every 15 miles or less.
- Educate users about the safe use of the Hudson River by all boaters.
2018 Funding Categories:
- Projects to construct trail segments/water trail sites or trail links that further the goals of the Greenway Trail Program.
- Projects to complete feasibility studies, design or plan trail segments/water trail sites or trail links that further the goals of the Greenway Trail Program.
- Rehabilitation/Improvement projects, including trail amenities, to improve trails/trail segments/water trail sites that further the goals of the Greenway Trail Program.
- Education and Interpretation Projects, including but not limited to: trail signs, kiosks, mobile tours, websites or apps, guides, trail mapping, cartography, brochures, conferences or workshops.
Funding Range: Requests may be made in the following categories:
• Trail Construction: Up to $75,000
• Trail Design or planning: Up to $40,000
• Trail Rehabilitation or Improvement projects: Up to $20,000
• Trail Education or Interpretation projects: Up to $10,000
Funding Range for Hudson River Greenway Water Trail Grants:
- Construction, design or planning: Up to $10,000
- Rehabilitation or Improvement projects: Up to $10,000
- Education or Interpretation projects: Up to $10,000
Applicants must complete projects previously awarded funds through this grant program or release those funds before being eligible to receive funding in this round.
Municipalities and not-for-profit corporations located within the geographic area of the Greenway, as defined by Article 44 of the Environmental Conservation Law, may apply.