Goshen, N.Y. – Due to the extreme high temperatures expected this weekend, Orange County Executive Steven M. Neuhaus is advising residents to take advantage of cooling centers that will open in a number of municipalities.
“It is very important to take this heat wave seriously,” Neuhaus said. “Make sure to drink plenty of fluids, take frequent breaks if working outside and use fans to increase ventilation. Seniors are more susceptible to becoming overheated or dehydrated. I encourage County residents to visit senior relatives and neighbors at least twice a day during the heat wave.”
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a Hazardous Weather Outlook for Friday and Saturday. They are forecasting high heat and humidity, with temperatures reaching the upper 90s and the heat index reaching upwards of 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
Residents seeking relief from the high heat should access these cooling centers or other public air-conditioned locations. Always call a cooling center before going to confirm it is open.
Orange County Cooling Centers
- Activity Center, 401 Washington Street, Newburgh, 12550, 845-565-3230
- Crawford Town Hall, 121 State Route 302, Pine Bush, 12566, 845-744-2020.
- Goodwill Church, 2135 State Route 208, Montgomery, 12549, 845-457-5959.
- Grace Community Church, 2839 Route 94, Washingtonville, 10992, 845-496-4372.
- Middletown Senior Center, 62-70 West Main St, Middletown, 10940, 845-346-4070.
- Middletown, Thrall Library, 11 Depot St, 341-5454
- Municipal Center, 1 Municipal Square, Walden, 12586, 845-778-2177.
- Port Jervis Free Library, 138 Pike Street, Port Jervis, 12771, 845-856-7313.
- Town of Chester Senior Center, 81 Laroe Road, 10918, 845-469-7000.
- Town of Highlands Town Hall, 254 Main Street, Highland Falls, 10928, 845-446-4280.
- Village Hall, 77 Main Street, Warwick, 10990, 845-986-2031.
- Village of Cornwall-On-Hudson Village Hall, 325 Hudson Street, Cornwall On Hudson, 12520, 845-534-4200.
- Village of Florida Senior Center, 3 Cohen Circle, Florida, 10921, 845-651-7815.
- Village of Goshen Senior Center, 100 Trotter Circle Goshen, 10924, 845-294-8545.
- Village of Greenwood Lake Senior Center, 132 Windermere Avenue, Greenwood Lake, 10925, 845-477-8482.
- Warwick Town Senior Center, 132 Kings Highway, Warwick, 10990, 845-986-1124.
- Wawayanda Senior Citizens Building, Route 284, Slate Hill, 10973, 845-355-3068.
- * There may be other centers temporarily opened during extreme heat conditions. Check your local municipality for more information.
For more information, contact Justin Rodriguez, Assistant to the County Executive for Communications and Media Relations at 845.291.3255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.